Kazoo training?

daddio211

Is there a format where I can "learn" the ins and outs of Kazoo? I've used it some over the past several years but I'm not completely comfortable with it so I leave the vast majority of programming to our engineers. I'd like to become more familiar with it so I can be more self sufficient. Are there training courses online?

So far I've only been told "You just have to get in and play with it to figure it out." I've done that, but would like to accelerate my learning without making mistakes. Any direction on this is appreciated.

Something I have been searching for too...I think it would be very useful if they did a handbook with considering non coders to involve people into learning how to use the system and t ache some coding too that will be a true open source logic,..

let me know too when you find something :)

• 2600Hz Employees

The trouble is we have at least three audiences who want to "learn" Kazoo.

1. UI developers - want to know what APIs there are, what they do

2. Core developers - want to hack on the Erlang code, write their own Kazoo applications

3. Sysadmins - want to administer Kazoo properly, configure, tweak settings, etc

Each has a start of a documentation site:

1. UI devs can use https://docs.2600hz.com/ui/ for building Monster Apps and https://docs.2600hz.com/dev to see the API reference docs

2. Core devs can use https://docs.2600hz.com/dev as well; plus there is work on generating edoc and getting that integrated into the docs site

3. Sysadmins can use https://docs.2600hz.com/sysadmin to get started

All of these are backed by public git repos on Github and thus can be contributed to by anyone. But I don't see a lot of pull requests come into those repos, even when folks get help here on the forums; sure would be nice if they could take their learnings and update the relevant docs to better educate everyone.

That said, we do offer a 3-day comprehensive Kazoo training class - primarily targeted at sysadmins for how Kazoo works. I have led Kazoo-Erlang trainings in the past and would like to do another one - we're kicking around ideas of how to make that happen.

So you can ask here to learn, you can read the docs site(s) to learn, you can always read the code ;) and you can contact sales@2600hz.com if you want to be part of a paid training course.

Oh, there's also a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/2600hzOfficial

We also do a bi-weekly community dev call (just had it today) where you can ask questions; I'm usually on there and others from the team join as they're able.

• 2600Hz Employees

I would add, even within those three groups we see a lot of stratification of needs, desires, and abilities. So while one developer wants to use APIs to build a typical multi-tenant PBX system, another wants to build a custom call center solution using Kazoo as the telephony engine, while another wants to build a trading desk for fintech, while another wants to build some webrtc-based phone thingy and another wants to add telecom features to an existing application.

So its usually more helpful to know what you want to do, high level, and point you at the right docs and give basic feedback based on that. We're working on covering the basics but past that it really is choose-your-own-adventure exploration.

Thanks ever so much for your prompt and valued response..

from my side what we want to have is a basic explanation (like a step by step guide for dummies) of how to setup a kazoo cluster (small cluster/startup cluster) and when it comes to closed apps I think anyone who is doing business wouldn’t mind purchasing it anyhow..

Please correct me if I am wrong so far what I have seen is a guide of setting up kazoo that involves some in-depth coding and to be honest when I do a bit of a research even the guys who are familiar with coding don’t know how to make it work or don’t want to touch it because they are not familiar with some part of the cluster like CouchDB or Erlang etc..

so from my point of view yes I want to use kazoo for my startup company but I want to be able to manage it with an in house SysAdmin and have the option to get a commercial support from 2600hz as and when needed..yes I have contacted your sales team and so far What I have been offered (either a hosted solution or a very large amount of Investment for running my own cluster with 2600hz installing it and supporting it) I don’t really think it’s viable for a startup company, I think if a startup company is going down the route for seeking an opensource product is because they are a STARTUP and trying to keep the costs down otherwise there are plenty of systems that are managed and sold by commercial companies that costs much less 

This is just an opinion and I think a lot of the people that are starting out thinks this way (the people I have been speaking to anyway )

thanks 

Just to add For example asipto developers have written a handbook/setup guide for beginners (explaining everything step by step) how to install and manage Kamailio..and they charge something like 50Euros..I mean it’s a great idea for a starter..if 2600hz ever did that I would be the first to purchase it..

As a user I wouldn’t even mind contributing to it for something like that, I’m sure it would be very helpful for people who are just starting up

• 2600Hz Employees

Thanks for the feedback!

So, there are two guides that help you get setup with Kazoo:

1. How to install everything on a single server: https://docs.2600hz.com/sysadmin/doc/install/install_via_centos7/

2. A guide on setting up a cluster: https://docs.2600hz.com/sysadmin/doc/kazoo/cluster-guide/

These should be straightforward for a person with sysadmin experience to use to setup a single-server for testing and a cluster for production. We've also had some nice contributions from the community on both docs to improve the experience of setting up Kazoo.

After you have a system setup, its a matter of figuring out what you want to do and finding the relevant docs to accomplish that (no small feat in some cases). Most interaction with Kazoo is done via API (or via MonsterUI) or using the SUP command from the CLI. Neither Monster nor SUP require programming skills; however if you want to do something not covered in the Monster apps available, some programming to talk to Kazoo via API will be necessary.

We always want to improve the onboarding experience for folks new to Kazoo so please keep letting us know what's not working for you or where you get stuck.

Thanks for your response..

we are hoping to try to spin up a cluster on AWS in October and will update on here how it goes..just a quick question.. I know it might sound silly but do we have to use CouchDB as the main database server or can we use another database server like MariaDB ?

• 9 months later...

Добрый день! 

Мне удалось отключить Kazoo от RPM. Теперь вам нужно выяснить, как работает этот программный комплекс. т.е. взаимосвязь компонентов системы на высоком уровне. Назначение каждого компонента понятно. Как они взаимодействуют на практике. Диаграммы потоков вызовов и что происходит в каждом компоненте.

подскажите с чего начать?

Я управляю контакт-центром AVAYA. Архитектура отличается от казу в AVAYA. Можно найти описание примеров реализации различных схем построения кластеров.

заранее спасибо !!

Edited by wolfru68 (see edit history)

I managed to disable Kazoo from RPM. Now you need to find out how this software works. those. interconnection of system components at a high level. The purpose of each component is clear. How they interact in practice. Diagnose streaming calls and what happens in each component.
tell me where to start?
I manage the AVAYA contact center. The architecture is different from kazoo in AVAYA. You can find examples of the implementation of various schemes for constructing clusters.
thank you in advance !!

• 2600Hz Employees

@wolfru68 Thanks for the translation :)

I'm not entirely sure but I think the AVAYA concepts map to KAZOO as such:

SES(SIP Enablement Services): KAZOO provides SIP connectivity via Kamailio and FreeSWITCH, with KAZOO providing the high level routing logic to those components. So if you stand up a KAZOO instance with all the components (via the install guide as mentioned earlier in the thread) you will be able to provide SIP connectivity (trunking, PBX, etc).

ACM (G650) (Aura Communication Manager): Again, appears to be providing SIP services (like PBX functionality). This is built into KAZOO. Typically you will create SIP devices, create numbers and callflows for what to do when the numbers are dialed. The callflow actions are things like IVR menus, routing to devices, users (all devices owned by that user), upstream carriers, playing prompts, directory services, etc.

AIC (Interaction Center): As far as I can tell, this is contact center functionality which 2600Hz provides to partners via Call Center Basic and Call Center Pro (the KAZOO app is called Qubicle in case you've seen that name floating around). There is a community-maintained call queues app called ACDc as well.

VP(IVR): IVRs are definitely build-able via callflows. You can also use Pivot to make an HTTP request to your server on each call to dynamically build the IVR. Call Center Basic/Pro provide specific prompts for wait time and other announcements when waiting in queue.

AES (Application Enablement Services): Basically APIs to control stuff. Yes to all that. KAZOO is built from day-one to be API driven. See https://docs.2600hz.com/dev/

Hope this helps a little? :)

14 hours ago, mc_ said:
I can embroider a question on architecture ?
1.ACM is the core of PBX. Used to control media Gateway (G650) and communication protocols. It implements the logic of routing the queue and connecting agents connecting trunks. This logic is limited to very specific capabilities.
2. AES integration server with ACM. For routing control and agent management, the protocols cvlan, tsapi, dmcc are used. AIC uses - CVLAN. NICE (communication conversation recording) - TSAPI and DMCC. SDK JAVA. too, the function is limited by the possibility of protocols. In ASTERISK interface AGI, AMY, CGI.
3.VP (voice portal) uses G650 ports. All IVR application logic for voice menus uses VP ports. SDK IVR allows you to run SOAP. functions are limited. there is no logic for routing and queue processing (PBX)
4.AIC is the processing logic with mail,sms or return to dialplan PBX.it has its own queue logic and connections to external LDAP, SMTP servers.workflow look like (callflow kazoo). Customer database and processing logic inside AIC. I read about the possibility of integrating kazoo with CRM systems. For example SuiteCRM.
5. Statistics is a separate component of AVAYA IQ. Connector to ACM.
template build real-time reports and chronological
(minimum interval 15 minutes). here the main elements are queue, agent, routing point. The entity group of the agent group, the queue group, the routing point group is added.
feature the ability to trace calls by points.
6. Each component uses clustering. AIS is built on a CORBA broker. NPP duplicates connections .VP media nodes servers.
7.To test agent management there are utilities. for example DMCC client. It is possible to send requests in the CML format to see the response or message error code. Does kazoo have debugging tools or such an option only in the SDK and logs?
8. The similarity of the architecture of Avaya and Kazoo in the cluster architecture of components and the use of the CML format for exchange. But Avaya's architecture is built by adding new components while preserving the main components (core). With this model, there is duplication of functionality in different components for compatibility. My task at the first stage is to configure kazoo using the API, but taking into account the peculiarities of the interaction of the main components (kammailio, Freeswitch, Haproxy, Rabbitmq and bigcouch).

Edited by wolfru68 (see edit history)