911 Alerts

TJ Forsman

I have a customer that is a school with several buildings and lots of phones. They would like to have an email or some kind of an alert when someone on their instance of the phone system calls 911 so they know when, where, and what phone. Has anyone setup anything like this? I talked to 2600 and they said this could possibly be done with web hooks as a starting point but i have never used them before and was hoping someone has done this and could share how.  

If this helps this was a general overview of how they said it could be accomplished below. I am going to be doing some studying up on the subject and if i get it figured out i will post what i find.

To achieve the functionality of the idea you've described here, you would need to use the Webhooks app to define a trigger behavior, so that when a call to 911 is made through your account/a specific subaccount, it triggers our platform to make a request to a 3rd party URL where a custom script is hosted. This HTTP request can be customized to include relevant data, such as who made the call, when, from where, and so on. Your script will receive this data, and then it will be up to your application logic to determine what to do next. This script needs to be hosted somewhere on the public Internet and accessible by our systems. 

Well, the good news is it is possible and we did that very same thing for that very same reason (large school install).  The drawback is that it was quite complex to do and not something that we could really contribute or share because we had to setup servers to handle SMS, email, etc and we weren't able to do it in erlang in the system.  Not sure how much that helps you other than to say that it IS possible to do.  We built it so that we could even send a phone call that plays an automated message stating a call was made and by whom.  (screenshot below)

That said, if it is an absolute deal breaker I'd certainly be happy to figure out some type of revenue share or similar and put them on our cluster if there isn't an easier way to do through webhooks or similar.  

image.thumb.png.9d5a6bbf9f0787a27aa27ca5fa257668.png

I think 911 is handled in the "no_match" path, and from there not sure how it's further handled. However, it should be straight forward to add a webhook to the "no_match" path and use something like IFTT or Zapier to extract the variables and send an email. The only issue is testing, it's 911, you know.. ;) police may arrive.

@Baze that implementation is super cool!