Call/Valet Parking

simonp22

HI All,

Trying to get my head around how call parking works. So have a few questions:

- What is the difference between Valet parking and "normal" parking? (difference between *3 and *4)

- As I understand it to valet park a call, I should Transfer the caller to *4 and a parking number should be read back to me, however this seems to not be the case. What am I missing here?

- If I park a call by transferring a call to *3105 and then park another call from a different device also to *3105, what happens to both calls?

• 2 weeks later...

When using *3 you choose which parking spot (ie. 101) you want to use then you can immediately hit transfer and hang up.

When you use *4 are you waiting for the call to be placed in the parking spot before you hit transfer or hang up? After you hit transfer, then dial *4 and wait a few seconds, it will park the call and tell you the parking spot number.

If you put two calls in the same parking spot the two calls will be on the same call and will be able to talk to each other. I just tested this.

21 hours ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

Hmm, are you sure about this? The last time I tried that, the 2nd attempt to park just got disconnected.

Yes, I tried multiple times with multiple devices. A couple of times it did just disconnect, as you said, but a majority of the time it merges the calls together. I found this very odd, I wonder if that's what's supposed to happen.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:29 PM, littleredtech said:

When using *3 you choose which parking spot (ie. 101) you want to use then you can immediately hit transfer and hang up.

When you use *4 are you waiting for the call to be placed in the parking spot before you hit transfer or hang up? After you hit transfer, then dial *4 and wait a few seconds, it will park the call and tell you the parking spot number.

If you put two calls in the same parking spot the two calls will be on the same call and will be able to talk to each other. I just tested this.

I cant seem to get Valet to work in this case. 

Currently testing with the Snom range of phones, I am on a call, press the transfer button, dial *4 and hit OK. The caller gets put on hold (parked) but I do not get a parking spot read back to me as a callee.

49 minutes ago, simonp22 said:

I cant seem to get Valet to work in this case. 

Currently testing with the Snom range of phones, I am on a call, press the transfer button, dial *4 and hit OK. The caller gets put on hold (parked) but I do not get a parking spot read back to me as a callee.

That is because the procedure you are doing is a "Blind" transfer, versus an "Attended" transfer.

Try pressing Transfer *4 and wait....if the Snom dials into the valet parking, it will give you the parking spot and you press transfer again , to get that call into the slot.

I would recommend taking a look at SNOM documentation and seeing the difference between the transfer types.

I do Yealink's, and don't have experience with SNOM.

esoare

Edited by esoare
Typo (see edit history)

Valet *4 parking requires "Attended" transfer.

Normal *3+park slot (which can be just 1 digit) is done via Blind transfer.

If you have Buttons available on the phones, I like to place "Call Park" "normal" keys on phones for customers. This allows them to place calls into park slots easily, as well as pickup parked calls easily, and also they get a visual of a call is parked...I/e they don't forget about it. (I know the system will ringback after a certain amount of time in the park slot.)

Hope that clarifies things for you @simonp22

esoare