KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Polycom Contact Directory

@Marie 

Thanks FASTDEVICE!  We had to use this today as we found that the Feature Code, Directed Extension Pickup *87, is not working where it was in the past.
Note:  We use Polycom VVX phones with hosted 2600Hz PBX.  We also use our own provisioning server for custom additions; background logos, Company Directories and user saved settings etc.

Here's what we configured and successfully tested.

Added line buttons via Advanced Provisioner>Device>Feature Keys.  (entered line Label, Address extension number and used Normal Type.  Ex  Jon Doe 1001, 1001, Normal)

You mentioned the above in another post. I believe the part about "Company Directories" would be of interest to @Karl Stallknecht

Could you add some info concerning the Directories with Provisioning? 

Thanks!

esoare

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 9:28 PM, esoare said:

@Marie 

You mentioned the above in another post. I believe the part about "Company Directories" would be of interest to @Karl Stallknecht

Could you add some info concerning the Directories with Provisioning? 

Thanks!

esoare

Thanks for this, but I've noticed the last time she logged on was more than a year ago. 

I found this information regarding the setup of directories, but so far this has not worked for me. 

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-How-can-I-create-a-local-directory-or-what-is-the/td-p/8216

Maybe this can be of help to someone else.

I was able to get the directory working.

First, you need an XML with all of the contact info as per the link in my previous post. I'll paste an Excel file with a script that I found which can make these for you. Once the file is created, rename the file from "xxxxxxxxxxxx-directory.xml" to "000000000000-directory.xml"

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/Create-a-directory-XML-from-Excel/td-p/75143

Second, you upload the file to somewhere the phone can pull the file from, an FTP server or the like.

Third, you set the url path of the file without the filename onto the "Custom Contact Directory URL" field in Device Settings within Monster. I'll paste an example below.

If your URL is as follows,

cfg.files.com/client-name/000000000000-directory.xml

Then this is what you'll paste onto that field,

cfg.files.com/client-name/

Edited by Karl Stallknecht (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

First, you need an XML with all of the contact info as per the link in my previous post. I'll paste an Excel file with a script that I found which can make these for you. Once the file is created, rename the file from "xxxxxxxxxxxx-directory.xml" to "000000000000-directory.xml"

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/Create-a-directory-XML-from-Excel/td-p/75143

Second, you upload the file to somewhere the phone can pull the file from, an FTP server or the like.

Third, you set the url path of the file without the filename onto the "Custom Contact Directory URL" field in Device Settings within Monster. I'll paste an example below.

@Karl Stallknecht You could also have different directories right? 

cfg.files.com/client-name/staff/

cfg.files.com/client-name/vendors/

cfg.files.com/client-name/clients/

etc...

I do that with a client, and I even have an "All" section. 

PM'ed you a link to see if the web directory could work for Polycom's. It works slick for Yealinks!

esoare

On 11/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Karl Stallknecht said:

Polycom also has this perl script as well, it's a little clunky but easy to tidy up / enhance: https://community.polycom.com/t5/Polycom-Endpoints-Forum/SCRIPT-Automatic-000000000000-directory-xml-from-a-CSV-File/m-p/7806

(You may need to register to their community to access that link, iirc)

1 minute ago, David said:

Polycom also has this perl script as well, it's a little clunky but easy to tidy up / enhance: https://community.polycom.com/t5/Polycom-Endpoints-Forum/SCRIPT-Automatic-000000000000-directory-xml-from-a-CSV-File/m-p/7806

(You may need to register to their community to access that link, iirc)

Awesome, thanks!!

• 10 months later...

@Karl Stallknecht 

I was giving this a go with a test vvx-410. 

Thanks for the write up by the way!! 

But when testing this out, it places the contacts from the Directory as Buttons on the phone...seems unusual to me... 

vvx410.jpg

I have uploaded the test .xml that I used... 

Can you provide any clarity as to:  a) that is normal / b) that's odd!

Thanks!

esoare

p.s. @Dhruv Use this excel Macro to create the directory. Follow @Karl Stallknecht post above to create the directory properly. 

000000000000-directory.xml directory_generator.xlsm

1 hour ago, esoare said:

But when testing this out, it places the contacts from the Directory as Buttons on the phone...seems unusual to me... 

vvx410.jpg

I have uploaded the test .xml that I used... 

Can you provide any clarity as to:  a) that is normal / b) that's odd!

Easy fix! As per the information from the Polycom forums, there are a variety of fields you can enable/disable:

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-How-can-I-create-a-local-directory-or-what-is-the/td-p/8216

The one I think you're referring to is sd (speed dial) which adds them to the home screen. You have to set a value for this (it can't just be 0 for disabled) so we just delete this tag from our XML files completely and then it goes away on the home screen.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:02 PM, Karl Stallknecht said:

Easy fix! As per the information from the Polycom forums, there are a variety of fields you can enable/disable:

The one I think you're referring to is sd (speed dial) which adds them to the home screen. You have to set a value for this (it can't just be 0 for disabled) so we just delete this tag from our XML files completely and then it goes away on the home screen.

You were right @Karl Stallknecht

I went ahead and edited the Macro in the Excel file (just commented out the stuff with sd) and the file it created had 0 mentions of 'sd', so you don't have to edit the xml file manually. 

Thanks for helping out and sharing your knowledge! 

esoare

directory_generator-edited removed sd.xlsm

5 minutes ago, esoare said:

You were right @Karl Stallknecht

I went ahead and edited the Macro in the Excel file (just commented out the stuff with sd) and the file it created had 0 mentions of 'sd', so you don't have to edit the xml file manually. 

Thanks for helping out and sharing your knowledge! 

esoare

directory_generator-edited removed sd.xlsm 23.05 kB · 0 downloads

Cool 🙂  My pleasure!

• 1 year later...