Community Training Stream

I'm wondering if there is community interest for a weekly stream showing Kazoo 2600hz covering;

• Architecture Overview
  • Planning for Deployment
  • Deploying each service (Kamailio, Freeshwitch, RabbitMQ, CouchDB, HAProxy, etc)
  • Configuring services (Fax to email services, pivots, api integrations)
  • Troubleshooting (Figuring out where a fault exists, common caveats, fixes)

I do not work for 2600hz and have been using the community edition in production for about 3 years. I certainly don't understand EVERYTHING about kazoo, but I know how to get it all working, fix problems, etc. The stream will be live and I will work on providing an edited version for uploading to YouTube.

I'm interested to see what topics people are most interested in and what timeslots work for them. I am in Australia, so the start times I can provide could be between any of the below, with a run time of about 2 hours.
11:00 Fridays (UTC)  and 14:00 Fridays (UTC)
01:00 Saturday (UTC) and 12:00 Saturday (UTC)

Probably just stream to Youtube (likely with zero viewers given my timezone) then release the edited VOD a couple days later via Youtube also.

I will most likely go through from the start to end. Start with planning/architecture, go on to the individual components and how they integrate/communicate, then move in to the apps based on feedback, like provisioning, billing, pivots, etc

I would like it to end up being a series that I can give to my team and new employees and they can then understand Kazoo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

11:00 Fridays (UTC) would work for me. 

I would be interested in deployment of a Lab environment and how to get that up and working. - How do you build from source (or do I need to?) How many boxes? Really a step by step thing for me would be interesting. I thought that ISO 2600hz did a couple years back was interesting. But certainly don't expect it to be that easy. 

hopefully others can chime in about times and what they would like to see.

p.s. I like your list by the way!! That seems reasonable, and maybe the step by step would be in there somewhere for me! 

esoare

Well, I should have everything I need now. I will be running a stream at 11:00 UTC this Friday.
I'll be doing via youtube live which you can view/set your reminder here;
https://www.youtube.com/user/mooseable/live

Open to feedback, suggestions for topics. Replay should be available post stream and I'll see if I can work on an edited down version for the time-starved individuals. I'm sure the first stream will be horrible as all new things are, but we can get there :)

I will cover, briefly, the overview/architecture/design principals of 2600hz Kazoo from my understanding, then go on to build  various lab environments, starting from an All In One server, to working on getting a cluster.

Finally, this will be based on Kazoo 4. If any of the 2600hz team wishes to provide any input or advice, I'd be more than happy to chat.

• Administrators

wow, this is great, thanks for contributing to the community and for sharing your knowledge!
Not sure if you all have seen this (sorry Darren  if I steal your thunder) but we've created a home for these kinds of videos and training materials here on our website.  We'd love to see you all contribute files and/or links here as a common library.  

Check it out here (under the support link on the main community menu)
https://forums.2600hz.com/forums/files/.  To the right is a menu showing a bucket for Community Contributions -- click on that category to share your files.

This is accessible to resellers / customers only.   We're also uploading white label versions of our docs you can swap our our logo and repurpose.   
Let's collect our expertise and help each other grow!

emily

p.s. a cool trick:  If you select "Follow" on these pages (or any on our site) you will get notified when someone adds a file.   Select the down arrow and you'll get a drop-down allowing you to set preferences on how often you want to receive the notifications.

follow contributions setting.png

I will be running another stream next week, probably more US timezone friendly. I will combine it with todays stream for the cut down version.
Australian internet failed me and installation from repos were going to take ~30 mins, which wasn't happening on my test yesterday.
Good practice run and I will return with the all-in-one setup probably next week.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the lateness. The training stream was great, but I wanted something a bit more concise so I re-recorded an AIO setup.

This covers installing and configuring the associated services for an all-in-one server. I'll work on more expanded content, including creating a clustered setup as well as deep dives in to each of the services, setting up billing plans, creating carriers, etc.

• Administrators

wow o wow.  This is fantastic and shows a LOT of work.   Thank you!  Checking with my team to credit you with Bits rewards back at you (see here).  noun_featured_70pix croppedtight.png
Have you seen this Downloads page also we created for contributions from the Community (see the Community Contributions category top right)?  It would be awesome if you're willing to post your training there too, by adding it as a link.  Let me know if you have questions!

• Administrators

grrrr.  So the web software is a bit grumpy when it comes to its definition of downloads -- it only wants a file.  The workaround is to submit a screenshot as the "file" and then submit the training URL in the description area.   I've done this for you this round, here.  Please feel free to edit/update what I added! 

https://forums.2600hz.com/forums/files/category/5-open-source-community-contributions/

Sure, what you put in there looks fine. I'll (try) to do a new video each month.
I have no idea how bits will help me out, but thanks I guess :)

Maybe I can donate them to those that keep helping me out like @lazedo and @mc_, can I buy them beer with bits?

You should also look in to offering the closed-source apps to self-hosted solutions by running ONLY the apps nodes for those closed-source apps. This would help people like me who don't really have the client base yet to pay you for the full infrastructure stack, but am certainly willing to license/pay for the extra apps!