The Great Breakening for 5.0!

mc_

• 2600Hz Employees

Hi Folks,

Its finally happening! We are separating the KAZOO git repository into multiple repos, one for each kazoo application (and one for kazoo core libs).

This Friday, May 1st, at the end of business hours Pacific time, all remaining pull requests will be closed from the main kazoo repo (the Erlang team here will be working hard to merge as many before that time). Closed PRs will be asked to be re-opened against the appropriate repo(s) starting on Monday. The breakening will occur over the weekend.

The workflow for KAZOO development will be a little different in the bootstrapping phase - you will define the applications you want to include (crossbar, callflows, whatever) and they will be fetched just as we fetch 3rd party dependencies now. The apps will still live under applications/ so most existing tooling will continue to work as expected. We realize there will be some pain points in the transition. We want to hear what you're butting up against so we can build tooling or refine process to make development a more pleasant experience.

Community apps like ACDc and Konami will be moved to a new Github organization: https://github.com/kazoo-community

If you would like to be added as a contributor or maintainer of a repo under that organization, let me know. Eventually we'll get a proper organizational structure but for now, the leading community contributors are going to be auto-accepted if they ask to be included on those repos. What that means is 2600Hz will no longer be in the mix for reviewing/merging pull requests. The community around each app will be able to move forward as they see fit.

This is a big step and we know there will be a period of adjustment for everyone, 2600Hz engineers included.

If you have further questions, please ask here and I'll clarify as necessary.

Thanks!

• 2600Hz Employees

@btracht00 hmm, didn't know there were 3.22 still active lol :)

We weren't planning on keeping the 3.x->4.x migration stuff in there with 5.x so I would say you'll need to upgrade to 4.x first, then 5.x once its available in the packages.

• 2600Hz Employees

It is done!

Community-supported apps can be found here: https://github.com/kazoo-community

2600Hz-supported apps can still be found here: https://github.com/2600hz

Look for kazoo-{APP} repos like kazoo-crossbar.

The kazoo repo itself still serves as the focal point for pulling in core and apps, tooling, CI, etc. Changes to the Erlang code will be committed to the individual repos.

There's still a lot of work to do (like linking changes in two or more repos) and general workflow improvements, but this is an exciting step! Plus I may never get a commit stat like '+490 −717,630' again!

Hi!

With these changes Kazoo became a kind of an Erlang/OTP on steroids - a platform for building scalable applications. 
It is not only just about telephony finally.
Two years ago I tried to urge people to sell potatoes with Kazoo (was kidding a bit): https://www.slideshare.net/KirillSysoev/kazoo-billing 
These days I'm in progress of building web-portal and billing for container terminal (700 000 TEU) ... with Kazoo
Containers are like minutes. They arrive to terminal (call comes into PBX), stored over there for a while (call duration) and leave terminal (hangup) - and here we are, we've got CDR (container detail record) :) 

Yes!!! Many thanks for all the hard work!!!

Regards,
Kirill

Are there more examples of non-telephony Kazoo usage?

• 2600Hz Employees

@Kirill Sysoev you live!!!

Tell me more about potatoes on KAZOO? Are they in vodka form? :)

And I agree, the platform is becoming more general purpose for building apps that can leverage the scaling bits in KAZOO. Almost borg-like...

• 3 months later...