KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

SMS is now enabled on Hosted Platforms

Emily R

• Administrators

noun_messages_crop_copy.png

We're on a roll here at 2600Hz ... SMS is here.

Some more good news is  we’ve enabled SMS on all existing Hosted Platform accounts!   You can now send and receive SMS texts on more 2600Hz DIDs.  

Receiving inbound SMS is configurable via Webhooks and outbound SMS can also be sent by utilizing our APIs or Zapier. If you have a Zapier account, you can connect SMS by Zapier with over 2,000 apps to create automations and custom notifications.

SMS is currently available for all Hosted Platform customers and can be enabled on most DIDs purchased through 2600Hz. You can easily enable SMS anywhere you can access a number’s settings (SmartPBX, Numbers, etc.). Simply click on the settings cog next to the number, select Messaging, and toggle it on. Once enabled, there’s a $0.25 monthly fee per number activated, and each inbound and outbound SMS costs $0.009 cents. 

Our Setup and Config doc will show you the screen shots, check out here.  

And as always, send us your questions and feedback.  Either post here, or check in with our support team.    We can’t wait to hear how you integrate your messaging into your accounts!

Super excited to hear about this! Three questions though:

1. I don't have the "Messaging" option available...it simply doesn't show up.

2. If I understand correctly, there is no interface built out that would allow us to simply provide access for our clients to be able to send/receive SMS via a web portal...right?

3. Is MMS also supported?

• 2600Hz Employees
17 hours ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

2. If I understand correctly, there is no interface built out that would allow us to simply provide access for our clients to be able to send/receive SMS via a web portal...right?

Hey Karl,

1. Can you try clearing your cache and trying again? 

2. Correct, there is no Chat/SMS UI for your end users to converse back and forth, but they can do it on a Bria or other messaging platforms that you can bring your own number to. 

3. MMS is not currently supported, eventually it will be but not at the moment. 

Let me know if number 1 works for you, if not send an email to feedback@2600hz.com and we'll try and get it sorted for you. 

Thanks! 

• 2600Hz Employees
1 hour ago, Izabell balash said:

Hey Karl,

1. Can you try clearing your cache and trying again? 

2. Correct, there is no Chat/SMS UI for your end users to converse back and forth, but they can do it on a Bria or other messaging platforms that you can bring your own number to. 

3. MMS is not currently supported, eventually it will be but not at the moment. 

Let me know if number 1 works for you, if not send an email to feedback@2600hz.com and we'll try and get it sorted for you. 

Thanks! 

@Karl Stallknecht Ok so everything should be ok on your end now - please let me know if you are now able to see the SMS settings. 

And if you are reading this and also running into this issue, just ping me directly and we'll take a look at your account. 

Thank you everyone! 

20 hours ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

@Karl Stallknecht I see SMS on some numbers and not on other numbers... Which reminded me of @Darren Schreiber's note that SMS was going to be enabled on Native Numbers. i/e: NOT ported numbers in the hosted platform... I do have clients that ported in, and have asked for this though! 

I asked if  ported numbers would eventually work with SMS in the chat, but will let 2600hz speak to that. 

I am happy I have a native number/s and can test these out! 

1 hour ago, esoare said:

@Karl Stallknecht I see SMS on some numbers and not on other numbers... Which reminded me of @Darren Schreiber's note that SMS was going to be enabled on Native Numbers. i/e: NOT ported numbers in the hosted platform... I do have clients that ported in, and have asked for this though! 

I asked if  ported numbers would eventually work with SMS in the chat, but will let 2600hz speak to that. 

I am happy I have a native number/s and can test these out! 

Hmm that seems like a huge shortfall. 95% of our DIDs are port-ins. After clicking through a ton of random DIDs in our account I was finally able to find one with the option available, but it's not much good if it's available this few and far between.

3 hours ago, Izabell balash said:

What do you mean "bring your own number to" exactly? For Bria, is this what you're referring to?

https://docs.counterpath.com/guides/mob/mob_Retail_Ios_5.6.1/UG/clients/UserGuides/Mobile/Accounts/mobSetUpXmppAccounts.htm

Without building our own UI for SMS, I can't really see any point in using this nor do I see how it helps us 😕 

• 2600Hz Employees

@Karl Stallknecht @esoare Correct, so this is currently available only to native numbers, we're working on getting the rest functioning as well. 

19 minutes ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

Hmm that seems like a huge shortfall. 95% of our DIDs are port-ins. After clicking through a ton of random DIDs in our account I was finally able to find one with the option available, but it's not much good if it's available this few and far between.

What do you mean "bring your own number to" exactly? For Bria, is this what you're referring to?

https://docs.counterpath.com/guides/mob/mob_Retail_Ios_5.6.1/UG/clients/UserGuides/Mobile/Accounts/mobSetUpXmppAccounts.htm

Without building our own UI for SMS, I can't really see any point in using this nor do I see how it helps us 😕 

You are also correct about the Bria, if you enable the presence setting you will be able to send and receive messages on the interface. 

Definitely sorry to hear that you're not able to see the point and this doesn't help you :/ Everyone of our resellers is different, can't win them all! Eventually, we'll have SMS/Chat but we're also currently working on larger projects that have been re-prioritized due to the pandemic. It's on our radar, and not an afterthought - but some of our resellers can and will utilize this so we're looking forward to hearing about those use cases :) Keep up the great feedback! 

Just now, Izabell balash said:

You are also correct about the Bria, if you enable the presence setting you will be able to send and receive messages on the interface. 

So what exactly routes inbound SMS to the Bria application and how can you control which users receive it? I'm kind of confused how that would work.

• 2600Hz Employees
Just now, Karl Stallknecht said:

So what exactly routes inbound SMS to the Bria application and how can you control which users receive it? I'm kind of confused how that would work.

You would need it to be provisioned and assigned to a user in SmartPBX , and assign that user an SMS enabled number. Then when you text that number, a message will appear in bria and you can respond back to it and should receive it on your cell phone. Is there something more specific that you are asking? I feel like I am also a bit confused by your request. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Customers

Hi @Izabell balash,

Chuck & I have been trying to get SMS working on our Bria’s apps without any success.  We have written up the attached set of steps we have taken to set up both SMS and XMPP on our Bria mobile apps.  We hope that you or another community member might see what we are missing.

Thanks so much,
Dhruv

D3UC unable to get SMS working on Bria -- description of steps taken.pdf

• 2600Hz Employees

Hi Dhruv,

the SMS and XMPP settings are useless, all you have to do is to enable presence.

note however that, a message will be delivered  to all registered devices until one replies with success.

for example, if you have 3 (A,B,C) registered devices belonging to a user with a sms enabled number,

an incoming message to that number will be delivered to the A device, if it fails, its delivered to B device , if it fails its delivered to C device, if it fails its dropped.

if device A is a yealink you may have receive the message (tho you expected it in bria).

so, i would recommend to

1) create 2 new users

2) assigned the Bria devices to those users

3) move the sms enabled numbers to those users, or get new ones

4) try it out

i have successfully worked with bria & linphone & yealink