KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

V5 Docs - Provisioner/Contacts?

sporkman

And if anyone was wondering, I was going to try the "learn by doing" approach, but whatever I was putting in for names/numbers was just always giving me an error. I assume I'm misunderstanding what goes in what field or what's allowed in each field.

Anyhow, I guess this was taken away as the option no longer shows up:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 1.19.10 PM.png

• 2600Hz Employees

Hi Everyone,

thank you for your interest in this new feature! we are still fine-tuning it and preparing the documentation before making it available with the next Provisioner release.

Sneak peek: this feature will allow you to have an account-wide contact list in your devices, the support will initially be for Poly devices but more to come in the future.

I'll be updating you as soon as this is released :)

1 hour ago, vladimir_2600hz said:

Hi @sporkman,

we are using the custom_contacts_dir_url setting for this.

This requires you to manually apply it on each phone, and manually create XML files though, which can be a huge hassle. Plus then every time an employee leaves, you have to remember to update all of the phones and XML files.

54 minutes ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

This requires you to manually apply it on each phone, and manually create XML files though, which can be a huge hassle. Plus then every time an employee leaves, you have to remember to update all of the phones and XML files.

I have a phone sitting here and both it's shared directory file (000000000000-directory.xml) and the per-phone directory file (64167f94XXXX-directory.xml) are empty and after multiple reboots, the phone just holds on for dear life to the previous contents of those files. Going to try different levels of phone resets to see which one finally makes it ask for either of those files again.

Trying to imagine doing a reset on an office with like 50 phones just to update the contacts...

• 2600Hz Employees

@Karl Stallknecht when using this feature all the Poly phones in the account will be have their custom_contacts_dir_url automatically set to an auto generated XML file, that would be the intention of the Contact List tab. 

@sporkman that's interesting! we tested with VVX400 series and a reboot was enough to apply the new contact list, we will keep an eye on the usability.

22 minutes ago, vladimir_2600hz said:

@Karl Stallknecht when using this feature all the Poly phones in the account will be have their custom_contacts_dir_url automatically set to an auto generated XML file, that would be the intention of the Contact List tab. 

@sporkman that's interesting! we tested with VVX400 series and a reboot was enough to apply the new contact list, we will keep an eye on the usability.

Can you tell me what version you're running? I have a VVX410 running 5.5.1.15937.

This article was updated to note some issues were corrected after 5.4.0:

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-How-can-I-create-a-local-directory-or-what-is-the/m-p/74922/highlight/true#M14125

The old behavior was for the phone to copy the global directory to the personal directory, making them semi-permanent.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, sporkman said:

I have a phone sitting here and both it's shared directory file (000000000000-directory.xml) and the per-phone directory file (64167f94XXXX-directory.xml) are empty and after multiple reboots, the phone just holds on for dear life to the previous contents of those files. Going to try different levels of phone resets to see which one finally makes it ask for either of those files again.

Trying to imagine doing a reset on an office with like 50 phones just to update the contacts...

That's strange...I've never had that problem before. Normally we just update the XML file and reboot.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, vladimir_2600hz said:

Great! Can't wait for this to be ready to go 🙂