KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Kazoo in Azure - Is it supported/does it work?

Shah

Hi all,

Is there a guide / how to on setting up Kazoo in Azure?   
If not, does anyone want to help me create one for the community? If I'm building the environment in Azure, I might  as well share the lessons learnt.  

I heard that as the public IP is not visible inside the VM, the out of the box config does not work?

Any inputs are welcome.

Cheers

16 minutes ago, Shah said:

Hi all,

Is there a guide / how to on setting up Kazoo in Azure?   
If not, does anyone want to help me create one for the community? If I'm building the environment in Azure, I might  as well share the lessons learnt.  

I heard that as the public IP is not visible inside the VM, the out of the box config does not work?

Any inputs are welcome.

Cheers

Check this out: 

https://upcloud.com/compare/azure/

https://upcloud.com/pricing/

I don't think he is looking for alternatives to Azure.  He wants to know how to get Kazoo to work within Azure Cloud.

The only issue I can think of is Kamailio not being able to bind to the external IP.  Does anyone have config examples of how to use Kamailio when it cannot bind to the external IP?  I know someone had got Kazoo working within Docker which would have required a similar type of config.

2 minutes ago, fmateo05 said:

@Shah

I sent you a DM.

I know @Shah personally, and I know that he is a Microsoft partner and works with Microsoft solutions on a daily basis.  If your DM doesn't involve getting Kazoo working in Azure, it will not be useful.  If it is about getting Kazoo working in Azure, please do share for the community.

The below works in AWS.  I haven't worked much with Azure's networking environment, but I can't imagine (well, I can, it's Microsoft) that the DNAT / SNAT workings are too different.  Assign PUB IP to instance/interface, then just change the below configs in Kamailio and Freeswitch.  If you're using an all-in-one, then you'll just need one PUB.  I've got a clustered setup going with my Kama and FS instances separate. 

On Freeswitch -  Remember FS trunks directly out of the cluster.  It does not route out back through Kamailio.  

nano /etc/kazoo/freeswitch/sip_profiles/sipinterface_1.xml

Set <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="auto"/>   to    <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="x.x.x.x."/>     (x.x.x.x is the external IP you have assigned to this instance)

Set <param name="local-network-acl" value="localnet.auto"/>  to   <param name="local-network-acl" value="NOPE"/> # “NOPE” doesn't matter, just not localnet.auto

On Kamailio

nano /etc/kazoo/kamailio/local.cfg  

Should be down at the bottom of the file.  The advertise flag essentially tells Kamailio what to change the IP to when it detects NAT.

listen=UDP_SIP advertise x.x.x.x:5060 
listen=TCP_SIP advertise x.x.x.x:5060

(where x.x.x.x is your public IP address you assigned)

I believe that's it.  Hopefully that'll help.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, Meat said:

The below works in AWS.  I haven't worked much with Azure's networking environment, but I can't imagine (well, I can, it's Microsoft) that the DNAT / SNAT workings are too different.  Assign PUB IP to instance/interface, then just change the below configs in Kamailio and Freeswitch.  If you're using an all-in-one, then you'll just need one PUB.  I've got a clustered setup going with my Kama and FS instances separate. 

On Freeswitch -  Remember FS trunks directly out of the cluster.  It does not route out back through Kamailio.  

nano /etc/kazoo/freeswitch/sip_profiles/sipinterface_1.xml

Set <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="auto"/>   to    <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="x.x.x.x."/>     (x.x.x.x is the external IP you have assigned to this instance)

Set <param name="local-network-acl" value="localnet.auto"/>  to   <param name="local-network-acl" value="NOPE"/> # “NOPE” doesn't matter, just not localnet.auto

On Kamailio

nano /etc/kazoo/kamailio/local.cfg  

Should be down at the bottom of the file.  The advertise flag essentially tells Kamailio what to change the IP to when it detects NAT.

listen=UDP_SIP advertise x.x.x.x:5060 
listen=TCP_SIP advertise x.x.x.x:5060

(where x.x.x.x is your public IP address you assigned)

I believe that's it.  Hopefully that'll help.

Can confirm, applied these settings to a sandbox deployment without a bindable external IP and everything worked perfect.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks!
Yes, that seems to work, but only for the traffic to/from the carrier.
SIP clients dosen't have any sound, because the internal IP isn't reachable from the outside.

I will start a new thread with that issue: https://forums.2600hz.com/forums/topic/12691-dual-media-gw-address-signalling

Br Tomas

Edited by tomas_ (see edit history)