KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Forward ringing call to Voicemail

Jack Noe

Hi,

We have specific people calling in that we don't want to answer the call, but instead send the call to voicemail,

So we don't want all calls going to voicemail, but specific numbers when they call in we want to press a button that will send the caller to voicemail.

Is it possible to forward a ringing call to voicemail without picking up the call ? We have Polycom phones VVX400

The brand and model of telephone has nothing to do with how a call is handled when coming in. It is handled by the system.

Just like you can tell the system to send all calls to a specific part of it , such as a ring group, you can also tell it to send certain numbers to voice mail.

@Jack Noe Of course you've probably thought of using Pivot... You could do what you mentioned, by checking a database, and letting a call go through to a CallFlow, or sending it to Voicemail. 

The problem is that you want to send a call to "Voicemail" after the call is ringing on a User/Device... That of course is a "forward a ringing call to voicemail" in your post....

If it's just 1 User/Phone/Device. You could "Reject the Call" and the call would go to voicemail... (Do you have the option on the VVX400 to reject a call? I'm a Yealink guy,sorry)

If it's multiple Users/Phones/Devices. You would have to do that on all those Devices.

If you wanted to do that on the server backend / other methods, that's past my knowledge at the moment. 

Probably @mc_ might have some suggestions. 

Let  us know which of those options you would like to explore. 

If the TNs are known and could be entered into a database,  I already have a full solution.  Feel free to DM me for details. Although, the solution is not intended to be a blacklist of numbers as that already exists. The intention is to allow certain inbound number to be routed to different callflows of your choice.   

23 hours ago, FASTDEVICE said:

I believe you can use Transfer ** to send a call directly to voicemail. You may have to answer it first and then do the blind transfer, but maybe you can create a macro on the phone to accomplish the entire sequence on a single button. 

This is what I would do---Polycom is extremely flexible with macros for things like this. You could program a button with a macro that answers the call with phone on mute and immediately blind transfers the caller to your voicemail. 

Alternately, you could use the Channels API to get the incoming channel and reroute the call to VM when you dialed a star code. Might need Pivot or a web UI for this to work fancily but you maybe could do it simply with webhooks and the Channels API and a simple external PHP/Python script or small node app.

But I would recommend just creating a macro on your phones.

Edited by RuhNet (see edit history)