KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Call queue vs Call waiting

Skoukou

Hello everyone, this is my first post, sorry if i fall out of any forum rule, and i  do hope i am at the correct section, 

could Someone please explain to me the difference of Call waiting feature https://docs.2600hz.com/kazoo_dev/applications/callflow/doc/call_waiting/ vs Call queue https://docs.2600hz.com/supported/applications/crossbar/doc/queues/

I am asking about practical differences of course apart from the implementation and the APIs.

Thank you.

Call queue is when a series of callers are put on hold awaiting for someone to answer them.

Call waiting is when a call comes into the extension while the extension is use, but continues to ring for the caller. The extension being called will hear a tone in their ear to indicate a call is coming in. and as well may see indication on the telephone screen.

Edited by KNERD (see edit history)

On 4/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, Skoukou said:

Thank you very much. So they both encounter the problem of an extra call droping to void.

Also if I got it right in call queue the receiver isn't notified of the calls that are on hold.

Not Dropping to Void. 

Using Call Waiting:

If a Call goes to a CallFlow, and It has a User with 1 Device.

The User with 1 Device is on Call 1.

Call 2 comes into the Callflow. 

Call 2 rings the Device (since Call Waiting is enabled)

Call 2 if NOT answered withing the time specified in the Call Flow, will go to the next action.

Usually Voicemail for the User, but could be sent to other people/all sort of stuff can happen here.

Using Queues.

If a Agent is on a call. They will NOT be presented with the second call. 

The caller stays in the queue for however long the QUEUE is programmed to hold them. 

All sorts of settings can be in the QUEUE. 

When the Agent is done with Call 1. 

The second call in the QUEUE will ring the agents phone.

hope that helps a little. 

esoare