KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Caller Name on T-Mobile?

Rick Guyton

Is anyone else having a sudden surge of issues with incorrect caller names coming up? Apparently Tmobile uses an app called  T-Mobile Name ID. I'm just finding out about this, but it seems like they use whitepages.com to supply names associated with phone numbers. This information has been wildly inaccurate for a few of my customers now. The only way to remove the info is to report it as incorrect from a t-mobile android phone. WOW... just wow...

Anyone else seen this? Have better fixes?

Sorry , should have been more clear. I'm having an issue with my clients coming up with the wrong name on t mobile cell phones. One of my clients has an employee named jennifer LASTNAME and when anyone from the company calls a T mobile customer the caller are shows Jennifer LASTNAME instead of the company name that's programmed in Caller ID.

question!

Is this report coming from your own customer?

I had a client report this to me, but it turned out that it was an employees mother, and she had programmed the main number in the phones contacts, with her daughters name.

At least that what I told them, since it was only the mom's... maybe she had T-mobile though :(

I'll have to keep an eye open on that.

es

No that's what I thought at first too. But This is a staffing agency and Jennifer is a sales person. She calls local businesses and sells staffing services. But she she never actually talks with the actual staffers. But staffers were calling asking for her. We finally figured out that they were getting the name from caller id. Then figured out it was only on t mobile. So one of the staffing agency employees who has t mobile verified it came up as Jennifer on her phone. Then she called her husband from the office and it still came up as Jennifer. The husband doesn't even know Jennifer. So we had a few people submit that it was incorrect info on the caller id app. Hopefully that does it...

• Administrators
This is an app T-Mobile started pre-installing on phones from what I understand. It's powered by whitepages.com . There is a button on the phone to report incorrect Caller ID Name from what I've read as well. But it is not based on the standard CNAM database. It is whitepages.com's own database. They have a blog article about how to update the Caller ID Name if it's wrong:

http://blog.whitepages.com/take-control-update-your-caller-id-whitepages/

You have to sign up for an account on their system, verify your phone number, then you can update the Caller ID Name and add a picture.

To be clear, this isn't really the US Caller ID Name service you're used to. It's an imposter T-Mobile is shipping.

I think several of the carriers have a version of this app. I know when I used to have Verizon with an Android they had a built in app that did this exact same thing. Like T-Mobile though it used a separate database and it wasn't using actual CNAM data. The thing is though, this app cost another $5/month so I assume most people didn't/don't use it because of this cost. I remember they had a 30 day free trial though so I tried it out.

*As far as I am aware* cell phones never show actual CNAM data. They'll usually show the location (city and state) based off of the area code and prefix though. Occasionally we will have a customer say they got a complaint that their number showed with a weird name, and we assume it's one of those people subscribing to this app/service.

I tried to sign up for a whitepages.com account to change the caller ID and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough. :) I also found an 800 number on T-Mobile's site and the option they say to press is no longer valid. If you drill down into their menus they pretty much redirect you to the site. My hate for the service is growing by the minute.