KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Intercom to multiple phones?

Rick Guyton

By intercom you mean 2-way, correct?  Polycom and Yealink can use the paging feature (in advanced callflow) which is 1-way and easy.  To get fancier you'd have to use the multicast paging which allows subscribing, but then can allow for Push to Talk for two way paging.  Another benefit there is in VERY large installations you can do internal paging without sending all of those calls over the WAN.  I can send a dummy config if you'd like.

Nice - yeah, provided the config for the phones is good, it should just work.  set a callflow, dial that extension for the flow, and phones beep then pickup.  config on the phones is the tricky part, but I'd imagine 2600 already fixed that.

We tried this for a while but gave up because it was slow and our customers didn't like that :-/

We now use multicast paging. I dislike that we can't control or customize it very easily, but it's instant and seems to work flawlessly. Only issue is for customers with different networks (i.e. a network for accounting and a network for sales) it won't work since it only works for phones on the same subnet.

I posted this in another thread.

"https://helpcenter.2600hz.com/2600hz/..."

Looking to spread the idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wonder if a record then play option would work? (then they wouldn't notice the delay)

There are devices out there, that are made specifically to cancel out screaching of speakers, when a phone is next to one.

So the Idea is.

Hit Page.
Hear a Tone.
Record the message.
Hang Up.

The Kazoo platform "pages all the phones"
The recorded message Play's across all the phones
Kazoo hangs up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, sounds like a Polycom thing!  Custom configs would be a huge quality of life upgrade.  We are running into settings on just about every install we do that are not supported in the provisioner.  Some of the time we can squeeze them in with pre-provisioning, and the other half we have to manually log into the phone.

I think the new line of firmware from Yealink has some things baked in that might allow something similar to what your talking about with additional custom configurations.

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2017 at 8:06 PM, Baze said:

By intercom you mean 2-way, correct?  Polycom and Yealink can use the paging feature (in advanced callflow) which is 1-way and easy.  To get fancier you'd have to use the multicast paging which allows subscribing, but then can allow for Push to Talk for two way paging.  Another benefit there is in VERY large installations you can do internal paging without sending all of those calls over the WAN.  I can send a dummy config if you'd like.

In regards to the multi cast paging. Could you send me the info or config on this. We are trying to set multi phone page within call flows and it seems to be 2 way and causing a lot of issues.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We can page Yealink phones individually using the *0 paging feature code (*0nnnn where nnnn is the extension number)

By default the yealinks will auto-answer but Polycoms will not ( I suspect that to be a setting on the polycom somewhere)

If you have 2 devices registered against the extension (user) it is a race as to which one answers and although the other(s) may attempt to auto-answer the call will only connect to one device.

This is why paging groups would be so useful....

However, the issue we have experienced is that phones in the group WILL answer but there is no audio.

We did a wireshark trace and could see audio being sent, It just wasn't being received.

Anyone else experienced or resolved this?

If multi-cast works, can someone detail how to set this up for Yealinks and Polycom phones.

Thanks