KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Caller Id Changer

Raj

esoare:

I have tried using dynamic_cid -> DISA, and it does not have any effect on the caller ID?  I also ensured that the user, device, and the company did not have a default caller ID set to test.  I also tried with and without a "blank" prepend ahead of the dynamic CID object to see if that would essentially "reset" the CID prior to hitting the other call flow modules.

http://prntscr.com/clg2ot

I did have the PREPEND + DISA mostly working, it was just not 100% reliable.  It seems that 1-3 out of 15 calls will show incorrect caller ID.

I was hoping somebody could confirm that creating a single device and registering it on many phones will not cause issues.  This would allow me to register one device per DID if I needed to as a last resort.

I am not sure why it is so hard to change outbound caller ID.  This seems like a basic feature.  What is the point of having multiple DID's if you can't easily use them?

I was able to get the call flow for the EXT -> Dynamic CID -> DISA working.  I had to check the box that says "Keep the original Caller-ID".   So far that has been reliable.

However, the call logs and history will only show calling this local extension instead of the actual number getting sent into DISA.  While this is better than buying 2 or 3 times the devices it still does not feel like a "permanent fix".  I hope there is a better way to do this soon.

Additionally, not being able to provision the DTMF key in the Advanced Provisioner adds complexity.

Some uses cases include:

1. Client has multiple businesses running out of a single or multiple locations and needs to be able to change the caller ID depending on the call they are making. (Joes Catering, Joes Cleaning, etc.)

2. Client is an answering service for many DIDs in multiple locations throughout US/CAN and needs to be able to switch the caller ID depending on which state they are returning the call in.  In my use case this is scheduling but I could see this for sales type organizations as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Hi there,
     So this is being handled with fairly high priority at this point on our team via your support ticket FYI. The problem is that ironically you may have been exploiting a bug, and we didn't understand that.

So we're trying to sort that out. PREPEND is supposed to PRE-PEND or add to the beginning a number, and leave the rest of the number intact. This allows you to, say, add the digit 1 or 2 to a phone number to identify if the call is a work or personal call, or add "Sales" to the Caller ID Name if it's a VOIP call. But keep the rest intact. This is allowed by most carriers even though the number is more than 11 digits.

From what I gather, it sounds like this was actually somehow being used in a way where you were stripping stuff off a capture group and maybe using a bug which didn't properly add the remainder of the number back.

We're trying to sort out how to not continue having a bug while also supporting your use case. We would hate to revert a legitimate bugfix just to support the one use case which is actually a bug.

I think Karl and Hessam are engaged heavily on this right now.

We will get this working again, somehow, hopefully with minor need or no need to modify your callflows.

Darren I really appreciate your understanding, I don't know if it's only us, but we have a huge need for that, I know a lot of our clients are not making phone calls that they're supposed to make now, because it must come up a different caller ID when they're calling certain banks or certain people ETC,

( what we did the last week is crazy,  but they call us  with the complaint, we change the caller ID on there device,  they are making the call and then they're calling us back to change it back to the normal outbound caller ID...

again thanks

• 11 months later...
16 hours ago, Tuly said:

@Rick Guyton thank you for that!!   why cant you do this with a simple static caller ID callflow?

Hi Tuly, I'm not sure I understand your question. But I think you are asking me why you have to use a pattern (feature code) instead in the call flow instead of a static number. If so, you don't have to actually. Consider this:

Problem: When I call my my mom at 9095555507, I want to spoof my cellphone's caller ID (4805555516)

Solution: Create a callflow in my account for the static number 9095555507 and point it to a pivot script https://api.telkit.tk/scid/4805555516.

Now, when I call my mom, at 9095555507, my outbound call will hit my pivot script and my caller ID will change to my cell phone number 4805555516. But this is really limited. What if I want all of my family in so cal to see my cellphone caller ID when I call them? Not just my mom? If I stick to this method, I now have a few dozen call flows to make.

New Problem: When I call anyone in the 909 area code,  I want to spoof my cellphone's caller ID (4805555516)

Solution: Create a callflow in my account for the pattern ^909 and point it to a pivot script https://api.telkit.tk/scid/4805555516.

Now, any time I call a number in the 909 area code, it will use my cell phone CID 4805555516. This is super powerful and some sales may love a tool that calls out using matching area codes. But, I'm using this for my family and my little sister, wife and daughter all live in AZ with me and have 480 area code numbers.

New Problem: When I call anyone from my family, I want to spoof my cellphone's caller ID (4805555516)

Solution: Well, I can't use area code based call flow anymore.. So I've either got to create callflows for each of my family's numbers. So, just make a feature code for calling out under my cellphone caller ID. Since I might want to call friends, ect with my cellphone number, I'll just make a feature code using the direction in the tutorial.

You could do any of this and more... I'll share a really cool config I did for a client in just a minute that's totally out of the box in a minute. But, as you read through the scenarios, I think you'll see why the best practice is to simply setup a feature code. As people use features, their use cases for that feature grow and it'd suck to accommodate each problem as it grows if you were servicing a client.

Ok, you didn't ask but I have to share this config just because I was astounded just how powerful the 2600hz platform can be.

Problem: An enterprise client purchased a single building for two of their entities to use. On Mondays and Fridays, CompanyA will use the building and all at all other times, CompanyB will use it. Both companies need the phone system to operate using their numbers on their days. This is easy enough for inbound. But outbound calling is a tough nut to crack...

Solution: Create a feature code (*80*) and point it to a time of day. On Monday and Friday, go to the pivot https://api.telkit.tk/scid/CompanyANum. And set all other times to go to https://api.telkit.tk/CompanyBNum. Then, I configure all phones in the building to prepend *80* to all 11 and 10 digit numbers. BOOM, time based dynamic caller ID and it is SOLID.

Edited by Rick Guyton (see edit history)