KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Streaming music on hold from local source?

The page here suggests this might be there already on-demand through a support request. Looks like the pre-requisite is you must have your shoutcast url handy and the location must end in mp3.

"As per another ticket (UI-386), Darren and Karl A have noted that this is already supported for the most part: Darren: On a technical note, we can allow the user to enter any HTTP or HTTPS url that they wish, however it must end in .mp3 to invoke the shoutcast decoder"

The feature is there, but they later discovered that they needed to do a few things to enable it on production. Ticket KAZOO-4062 was to track them doing those things. It won't be available in the GUI the last I heard, and is just something that you can do either with an API or they can do manually from their end. But as of right this second it is not available.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrators
58 minutes ago, FASTDEVICE said:

I can confirm that streaming music now works in production. You must configure through the API in order to make it work.

IMHO, it's freakin' awesome. Big thanks 2600hz team for listening and making it possible!

This is correct. You can set 

{ "data" : { "music_on_hold": { "media_id" : "shout://22.22.22.22:80/live" } } }

on your account. We're working on ways to expose this in the GUI but for those who really need it, it's there!

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, FASTDEVICE said:

Here's an idea... How about providing us a device that can stream a URL much like the SIP URI device.

I can think of endless possibilities for use and monetizing. 

I'm not sure I understand this request? What do you mean "providing us a device". Like, setup a server that streams media? I don't understand.

@Darren As I think through that request more clearly, I'm thinking what would be nice is the ability to connect a shoudcast url to a callflow, much like play media. I confused the request with a device as I'm able to do this using a sip: uri that plays music on hold. 

Yes, the ability to dial-in and listen to a shoutcast stream instead of fixed media. While I can't outline all the wonderful possibilities, there are many that include promotional, seasonal, and ad based that can be accessed via menus. My first thought is old school movie theater times running in a loop; like press 1 to hear our current promotions, upcoming events, and entertainment. The shoutcast server is excellent at changing media and insertions on the fly.       

• Administrators

So I'm not 100% sure but I believe the change was made for any media handling. So if you just make a media node but set it to shout:// it should also work, then you make a callflow that plays that media node. The validation might be restricting this, though, so not 100% sure on that.

• 2600Hz Employees

I don't think there's anything restricting the URL from being "shout://...". ecallmgr explicitly checks for shout:// and passes it direct to FreeSWITCH. Give it a shot and let us know!

• 2600Hz Employees

Where are you putting this media? Most places that take a media_id of some sort will also accept the "shout://" URL as well. FreeSWITCH will need mod_shout enabled as well, by the by.

I had to wrap my mind around not creating a media asset, but simply set the media_id to shout://. That's why my previous comment was asking where within the media document to place the shout:// url. Sometimes simple just escapes me, like when Apple came out with a one button mouse I was completely lost.    

Drum roll....I was able to create a media node with shout:// as the media_id and attach it to a callflow. It works!

Thanks again.