KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Ignore Completed Elsewhere

Tuly

Ignore Completed Elsewhere in devices is by default NOT checked on the hosted platform , but it behaves as if its checked (shows a missed call on the phone even it was answered elsewhere)  the only way to correct this,  is to toggle on and off again,  has anyone noticed this?

Guest CBV David
I'd observed a pattern of behavior where if two phones were grouped together, and their ring times didn't overlap, this wouldn't function as you'd expect.

IE: 
  • User1 rings 0-10, and User2 rings 10-20
  • User2 answers a call
  • User1 shows a missed call
  • User1 rings 0-11, and User2 rings 10-20
  • User2 answers a call
  • User1 does not show a missed call!

I didn't look very deeply into it at the time, and this was maybe a month or two ago, but hopefully that information might help?

I'll try to do a quick test tomorrow if I can find some time!

• Administrators
This would frankly be expected I think. The literal way this feature works is that, while multiple phones are ringing, if someone grabs the call, the other phones get a hangup cause indicating the call was answered elsewhere (or depending on the setting they get nothing).

However what you're stating seems to contradict what I'd expect. Would love some more data points if you're willing.

Okay so here's what we experience:

We have a ring group for our "support" line being an option from our IVR menu. I have two phones (one at the office and one at home) and usually I don't answer the support calls and instead my employees do. I will often notice that one of my phones will show missed calls that were answered by other employees, but my other phone won't show the missed calls - but it seems random as to when or why it happens. And it's not always one phone or the other that shows the missed calls versus not shows the missed calls.

• Administrators
This is a configurable option in the GUI. Which phone is doing this? Can you screenshot what the configuration for this is in the GUI? If you provide the device name I can take a closer look.

Would you allow us to place test calls to test this to that number (the support number) so we can observe this behavior?

Yes I know, both phones were configured with it enabled. Devices are Karl Home and Karl Office. I ended up turning it off because it got confusing to have one phone showing the missed calls and the other phone not showing the missed calls.

You're welcome to place test calls but my home phone is currently in a box somewhere since I moved recently.

• Administrators
Now I'm even more confused. You had two phones, one had it enabled, one didn't? And then you're stating one of the phones did not show the missed calls? That would be the intended behavior, no?

What kind of phones were they? The phone has to actually support this feature (Yealink, Polycom do, not sure on Grandstream or CIsco)

No. I had two phones. Both had it enabled. One of the phones (random one, not always the same one) would show the missed calls and the other wouldn't. But NEITHER of those two phones answered the calls - it was always another employee on a different phone. So theoretically, neither of those phones should have showed missed calls but often times one would and one wouldn't.

They are all Polycom.

What happens if a non-supported phone answers the call? Will the supported phones still hide the missed call? I'm assuming the answer is yes in this manner, just not the other way around.

• Administrators
Hi Karl,
     When you get your phones back online, let's run some tests, as what you're reporting doesn't make a ton of sense to me. It definitely should not be random. I'd want to see the phones in action, what packets we're sending to them, how they're responding, and how the callflows are setup exactly.

As for non-supported phones, it's up to the phone itself to respect the message we send. We send a message "Completed Elsewhere" per the RFCs that indicates NOT to show a missed call. It doesn't matter who ANSWERED the call, it matters that the phone which DID NOT answer the call can support the "Completed Elsewhere" message. I believe most phones do, I'm not sure on softphones though.

Guest CBV David
I think that probably it was just an issue of perception - when thinking of a "call" in the general sense, I still have a habit of naturally coalescing the separate legs of the call into a singular entity.

I should be able to run some test calls tomorrow morning to provide a bit more clarity (and confirm what I recalled was accurate..), it's been a busy week coming back from the holiday.