KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Q&A re: upcoming 4.0 upgrade

Darren Schreiber

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys - I thought the maintenance Tuesday night was to restore the public IP in the contact_ip for registrations? It's still showing the private IP of phones. I'm getting a lot of RECOVERY_ON_TIMER_EXPIRE errors for inbound calls and wondering if this has anything to do with it?

• Administrators
Maintenance was to restore that, but we decided in the last minute that we did not want to risk people complaining about BLFs. So we did half the maintenance (the fields in the GUI now show up) and we will do the other half on Friday, which is the Kamailio restart portion.

RECOVERY_ON_TIMER_EXPIRE means we're unable to make it past the firewall/router on the remote side. That would have nothing to do with this maintenance.

Try restarting the firewall/router on-site. Sometimes if there is an internet snafu the router will dismiss our host as down and perceive phone's constant attempts at outbound UDP requests as a sort-of DoS attack and drop them before they even leave the network.

If a restart DOES work consider, long-term, picking a new firewall/router or turning off some of the firewall features.

• Administrators
If I had to toss out my personal favorite (but you MUST configure NOT to do load balancing, only failover), I'm a huge fan of

Cisco RV042 for small office (10 people or less)
Cisco RV082 for larger office (up to 100 people usually)

You MUST use the latest firmware and change the UDP timeout to be at least 60 seconds higher than the longest register time on the phones. You MUST also set the router to NOT load balance.

But what we do is setup the phones on a specific VLAN, which you can then add manual routes to "pin" to a specific WAN interface. Then your internet traffic is "bonded" with failover but your VoIP traffic has a primary/secondary route, no bonding, and fails over, too.

Then put two internet connections at the client's site (using different media - like Cable + DSL), then boom, done, failover + faster internet. Yaaay.

YMMV

Thanks guys - I use the public IP to quickly determine whether the site is using primary or the backup broadband connection. As for the firewall...customer is using Meraki, which is complete crap and it's a shame they allowed the Cisco logo on it.