KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

Lots of redirection_to_new_destination email alerts

Hello Forum :)

Let me start by saying I am reeeeally new to Kazoo, so I can reaaaally use some help.

I did a lot of research thou, and while I don't understand some details, I was able to get a cluster running (at least partially, hehe).

These are the servers I put together:

• 1 * SBC Server (Kamailio) + Kazoo Apps + Monster UI
  • 2 * Media Servers (FreeSWITCH)
  • 3 * Database Servers (BigCouch)

I used to have another SBC node, but then I realized it was causing issues with the presence (due to having two eCallManager instances with local queues and only one zone) so decided to stop the services on the second node for the time being.

I've also spent some time reading multiple threads, resolved a few issues and it looks like everything is working now, but I keep getting a lot of email alerts with redirection_to_new_destination as follows:

Alert
redirection_to_new_destination 303 to 200 (outbound) on cc8cc1c9e996034bbc2ec09bcc72a105(cc8cc1c9e996034bbc2ec09bcc72a105)
Producer
node:	kazoo_apps@b01.sip.smsdatacenter.com

msg_id:	d4dbb76ffb661496
Details
app_name:	ecallmgr
app_version:	4.0.0
event_category:	call_event
event_name:	CHANNEL_DESTROY
msg_id:	1501007152730157
node:	kazoo_apps@b01.sip.smsdatacenter.com

call_id:	b0dda268-7166-11e7-8c68-dd42a72235e1
billing_seconds:	0
call_direction:	outbound
callee_id_name:	XXXXX
callee_id_number:	200
caller_id_name:	XXXXX
caller_id_number:	303
channel_call_state:	HANGUP
channel_created_time:	1501007152589522
channel_name:	sofia/sipinterface_1/200@XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com

channel_state:	REPORTING
duration_seconds:	0

hangup_cause:	REDIRECTION_TO_NEW_DESTINATION
local_sdp:	v=0 o=FreeSWITCH 1500975540 1500975541 IN IP4 208.82.141.118 s=FreeSWITCH c=IN IP4 208.82.141.118 t=0 0 m=audio 31612 RTP/AVP 0 8 101 13 a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000 a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000 a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000 a=fmtp:101 0-16 a=rtpmap:13 CN/8000 a=ptime:20 a=sendrecv 
media_server:	m01.sip.smsdatacenter.com
other_leg_call_id:	d881c0f6c8b53e1c1f61562adab0877d
other_leg_caller_id_name:	XXXXX
other_leg_caller_id_number:	303
other_leg_destination_number:	0
other_leg_direction:	inbound
presence_id:	200@XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com

request:	200@XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com

ringing_seconds:	0
switch_nodename:	freeswitch@m01.sip.smsdatacenter.com

switch_uri:	sip:208.82.141.118:11000

switch_url:	sip:mod_sofia@208.82.141.118:11000

timestamp:	63668226352
to:	200@XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com

format:	~s ~s to ~s (~s) on ~s(~s)
Channel Vars
username:	200
realm:	XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com
owner_id:	90dee9c96ab01212adb5333712906b24
global_resource:	false
ecallmgr_node:	kazoo_apps@b01.sip.smsdatacenter.com

channel_authorized:	true
call_interaction_id:	63668226342-3b71322e
bridge_id:	d881c0f6c8b53e1c1f61562adab0877d
authorizing_type:	device
authorizing_id:	f1bb6a88886c7d69bb662775a6da5f3d
account_id:	cc8cc1c9e996034bbc2ec09bcc72a105
SIP Headers
x_kazoo_aor:	sip:200@XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com

Account
Account ID:	cc8cc1c9e996034bbc2ec09bcc72a105
Account Name:	XXX
Account Realm:	XXX.sip.smsdatacenter.com

I also reviewed the FreeSWITCH logs and found out these errors are consistent with the 302 messages coming from the phones, which end up on a hang up channel.

I understand 302 is how SIP handles transfers to ask the device to re-issue the invite to a new destination, I am just not sure why I am getting all these notifications each time a redirection occurs. Is this something normal? is there any way to disable it?

Thanks! Much!

Ivan

• 2600Hz Employees

Hi! and welcome!

If you want to remove this hangup cause from the ones that generate alerts, I think you need to edit the "hangups" document in the "system_config" database. There should be a key "ignore_hangup_causes" that will contain a list of hangup causes that Kazoo considers "normal" or expected. You can add this redirection cause to that list, flush the cache "sup kapps_config flush" on the VM, and see if that does the trick.

See here for more about monitoring hangup causes.

Thanks @mc_, didn't know about that feature, it's awesome! and I am amazed on how quickly you have answered! 

One more question thou, do all "redirections to new destination" end up on a hangup and are usually reported? is this normal? I would think it is because the device will then re-issue the INVITE to the new destination, but I just wanted to be sure, and I wonder why it isn't already part of the ignored_hangup_causes...is that by design? like... standard behavior of the solution?

BTW, I know nothing about Erlang, but I consider myself a good programmer and I am a fast learner. Not sure if I will have a much time, but if you guys need some help, I will try to assist the community whenever possible.

Thanks!

• 2600Hz Employees

I can't say definitively but I believe this cause can be added to ignored hangup causes. I know Kazoo has plumbing in ecallmgr the explicitly handles the case where the hangup cause is REDIRECTION_TO_NEW_DESTINATION. I can't imagine why a system operator would want alerts about this (but I'm not a typical system operator so hopefully someone else can chime in with a good reason to keep the alerts for this hangup cause).

Regarding Erlang, I would welcome you to pick it up just for general learning as well as being able to hack on Kazoo itself. Probably the best way to help the community is looking at the different doc sites and improve the docs. Each page should have an edit link taking you to the git repo backing the content. PRs welcome! Feel free to ask Erlang questions here as well, if you decide to pursue that avenue. Love to help folks get up to speed there!

Thanks again @mc_!

Yup, I noticed some of the docs can use a caring hand, it's just that I don't know enough to start documenting the platform yet, I need to gain some knowledge and experience first. But I will definitely try to contribute. Do you mind if I write you if I have some questions to polish some of those docs?

would you recommend some sections to start with?

Thanks!

• 2600Hz Employees

Probably the best place to start is in the sysadmin docs while you get familiar with how Kazoo operates. Check out the CentOS 7 install guide and the quickstart API guide. If you find places in the docs that are unclear, click the edit link and submit a PR. The appendix is a pile of docs poorly migrated from the old wiki. There may still be some nuggets of wisdom that are worth cleaning up and moving to the main nav.

Please use the forums to search for answers then pose questions if you don't find the help you need. The community is quite knowledge-able!

• Administrators

@Ivan Tazelaar We're putting together a group of folks to help with docs, would you consider joining? It's just a small commitment to touchbase once a week. We'll divy up the biggest needs and split the work but also coach people on it. You get the added benefit that you can interact with our staff directly and get answers to, well, whatever you want!

Guest CBV David
3 minutes ago, Darren Schreiber said:

@Ivan Tazelaar We're putting together a group of folks to help with docs, would you consider joining? It's just a small commitment to touchbase once a week. We'll divy up the biggest needs and split the work but also coach people on it. You get the added benefit that you can interact with our staff directly and get answers to, well, whatever you want!

I'd be interested in helping out with this - I know there have been plenty of times I've run across something in documentation that wasn't quite laid out the correct way, which resulted in a fair bit of confusion on my part.  I'd love to be able to help others avoid that same frustration while hopefully learning some more about the ways in which I can help contribute in a legitimately useful way.

29 minutes ago, Darren Schreiber said:

Absolutely Darren, just let me know how and I will make myself available, and I agree with David, I've had the same experiences and would love to help.

Hey @Darren Schreiber, I have already started reviewing a few things, find my comments bellow:

(1) Installation Section

Installation needs an introduction / overview (probably an architecture overview), so that people understand what they are doing, otherwise it's easy to install a single-server instance because vanilla takes care of most, but it's a whole different story when you try to get a cluster running.

(Noticed there's an specific section for cluster installation, but still... either there, or on the installation section, an introduction and architecture overview will definitely be of great help)

There's also a guide that we can leverage: https://www.powerpbx.org/content/kazoo-v4-single-server-install-guide-v1

(2) Configuration Section

Configuration goes straight into APIs, and this may be confusing with setting up kazoo too. At least I was trying to look for that and ended up finding the usage/configuration.

There should be two sub-sections, or maybe a new entire section to cover usage: 

1. Configuring Kazoo (or maybe Kazoo Setup?)
  2. Using Kazoo (or Kazoo's APIs?)

I am still going through all sections, but I believe the actual setup was not addressed (only briefly on the installation and with code snippets). Things like each of the components' configuration files: FreeSWITCH though "sup" commands for example, Kamailio config file, Kazoo main core configuration file for zone definition, CouchDB cluster configuration, etc.

I understand each of these solutions have their own documentation, but with the packages, most of the defaults are flipped, file locations, etc. There's a lot we can cover there.

I am sure you guys already know this, but just wanted to give an initial feedback on the few things I was able to find so far.