KAZOOcon: hackathon signup and details here! ×

New forum feature: Reply by email!

• Administrators

Miss the old Google Groups "email only" format of communicating? With the help of ninja engineer @Bret Truchan, we're bringing it back!

You can now reply by email to notifications you receive from the forum. Read https://forums.2600hz.com/forums/announcement/5-post-to-forums-via-email-now-available/ for more details.

(We're working on a simple way to email all posts to you as well. Stay tuned for that)

• Administrators

We do not allow email signatures or profile signatures. The resources you are using here are paid for by 2600Hz and 2600Hz customers and too many people try to use email signatures, in my opinion from past forums, to advertise their services who don't contribute to the project. So they should be getting stripped or will be removed manually by moderators.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there an option to "STAR" a post?  

For instance. I can go to my member page, and under "Post" see all the upvote/downvote activity. 

I am curious if there is a "STAR" option, that would place a particular post in a "STAR" category.

The reason is, I want to "STAR" The post below in https://forums.2600hz.com/forums/topic/1616-so-you-want-to-play-with-mikrotik-routers/ because it has great information that I want to see later...but I don't want to "Search", or go through a post's other stuff, until I find it. The Star, should take me to the Link, but directly to the Post....

Not sure if that is possible. It's not necessary, but seems like a pretty powerful feature. 

P.s. once again, GREAT forum!! 

esoare 

• Rick Guyton
  • Members
  • 409 posts

@esoare

On 9/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, esoare said:

With Wifi:

hAP AC (RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US)

Be aware the WiFi on this could be better. I get something like 30 ms more jitter on average using WiFi vs wired. That's a little high, but it is WiFi, most people won't notice. Also, Jeff's mentioned to me that the WiFi uses the CPU, so potentially, large WiFi thoughput could cause issues. But, considering your WAN will be limited anyhow, this is only of major concern if you have a client pulling large files off a LAN server over WiFi. And... that's a pretty edge scenario. Long story short, this is my go to for <30 Mbit connections and <20 users and I use it personally at home.

Recently On My Radar.... CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN

This thing's kind of cool. It's a 24 port switch with WiFi. And because it runs the Mikrotik software you can use it as a SoHo router. One of my IT partners selected it for their customer and asked me if it'd work. I told them it should and it's been working pretty well for that client for a few months now. Really wish it had POE though... Throughput seems to be in the 30 Mbit range as well. But, I havn't done extensive testing on it. Let me know if you want to use this, it requires a small tweak to my script to allow bridging/masterporting of all the switch interfaces.

Without Wifi:

hEX (RB750Gr3) 

LOVE. THIS. THING. And it's only $60. I wish more clients would let me use it. But, most want an all in one WiFi/Router. It's actually got a faster processor than the hAP and without WiFi bogging down CPU, You can go up to 50Mbps on these. Did I mention I love these? If I were my customer's IT person, I'd be rolling these or RB3011 /w sperate WiFi APs all day long.

RB3011 for 50Mbit+ onsite router

Theoretically this guys handle about 3Gbps of total thoughput even loaded down with a bunch of firewall rules and Queues. All for <$200. Love it. If my client has access to 50Mbit+ service at their site and isn't terribly price conscious, this is my recommendation + external WiFi.

Do you have easy remote management, like the Ubiquiti Unifi Cloud product? 

Even if setting up an AWS instance, it may work for me...

EASY remote management? No, not particularly easy. There's a build in DDNS you can enable. Then you'll be able to access the router via ROUTERSERIALNUMBER.sn.mynetname.net after you put in a firewall rule allowing it using your preference of Winbox/SSH/or :shutter: WebGUI. Once you get in, it's not EASY, but it is stupid powerful. @Logicwrath might be able to give you more info. He plays with this a lot.

OH, BTW, turn Safe Mode on if you are editing configs remotely! This makes it so that you are only messing with the running config. And if something goes horribly wrong, just ask you client to reboot the router and it'll come back up with the old config.

@Tuly

On 9/6/2017 at 7:06 PM, Tuly said:

Why should someone want to push a router / MikroTik Routers to there VoIP client? 

And what specifically is the benefit of MikroTik Routers? 

Well...

1) Cost

I mean they have a $30 hAP mini... That's got WiFi and can handle about 20 Mbit with full QoS. Not my personal favorite, but for a small branch or an work from home employee's house, it's great. Then there's the hAP AC for $130 that's got decent WiFi and can handle 50 Mbit with full QoS. And then a full blown gigabit+ with QoS for under $200. (RB3011) All with no re-occurring costs. (I'm looking at you meraki)

2) Scipting

You can create and regularly run scripts on these routers. I've leveraged this to make my routers automatically find and prioritize VOIP phones. But, I've seen a bunch of other cool stuff. Enabling port kocking for remote access, dual auth, reporting, logging, billing stuff.

3) Wide Variety Of Hardware Options

There's a router for pretty much every level of need. From the tiny hAP mini to the $3000 cloud cores that run Africa's whole internet. And, for the most part configs that work on the mini will work on the Cloud Core and vice versa.

4) Features, Features, Features, Features

Pretty much every Mikrotik comes with the full suite of features right off the bat. Want to do BGP on your $129 hAP AC? Ok, it's there. Or, how about setting up a site-to-site VPN. YUP, it can do that. What about WiFi or HotSpotting or RIP routing or OSPF routing or packet shaping/QoS or MPLS or Radius or LTE.... I mean the list just keeps going and going.

4) Easy Hand Off

Combined with the script I offer, I can ask an IT person a few questions and send them a fully functioning QoS router that'll work in almost any scenario. Before I made the script, we basically had three options, hope the client didn't saturate their connection and cause call quality issues/buy more bandwidth than the client could ever use, set static IPs on the phones and do QoS based on those IPs or do VLANing.

The first option was never really an option for me, that's just not how I roll.

Options two (static ips) works, but when the client inevitably wants to move a phone somewhere else it causes problems, I've also had IT guys change the DHCP pool on me and cause conflicts and there's been other weird edge issues I can't recall right now. Also, it can be kind of a pain to get a static pool for every location for clients with 10+ locations.

Finally, option 3 (VLANs) are great and pretty much best practice. But, you'd be surprised how many IT people don't like them, don't know how they work or just don't want to do that. I find that getting an IT person that wants to do this is the exception.

Now, I can support any setup their IT guy wants. I can do DHCP from the router, or let them do DHCP from their DC. I can support VLANing if they want, but I don't have to have it if they don't want to. We can do DNS or let a local server do it. They can assign static IPs to the phones if they are more comfortable or let DHCP handle it. So long as the router can find the phones in it's ARP table, my QoS will work and that's a pretty low bar.

4) Street Cred

Only half joking here. We get quite a bit of referrals from local IT guys. And in the initial stages of a partnership, when they want to know what routers we prefer answering MikroTik and being able to geek out on the subject puts your in a whole different category of vendor than most. 

5) API (Maybe Someday)

Much like with Kazoo, I liked that there was an API from the get go. I may never use it. But I want to know it's there. Because for example with Kazoo, I use it EXTENSIVELY now. Maybe I will with Mikrotik some day. Or not, but it's there!

Edited 23 hours ago by Rick Guyton
  •  

• 2600Hz Employees

I wonder if this bookmark plug-in would be the same as your star request? https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/438150-bookmarks-support-topic/

Also, maybe we should create a topic to discuss the forums themselves?  (I brought this up before and was told it was a good idea, but I think that we forgot about it.)

3 minutes ago, Bret Truchan said:

I wonder if this bookmark plug-in would be the same as your star request? https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/438150-bookmarks-support-topic/

Also, maybe we should create a topic to discuss the forums themselves?  (I brought this up before and was told it was a good idea, but I think that we forgot about it.)

I like it! 

Perhaps as default, make a BookMark "Private" instead of "Public"? 

I am fine with the "Following" being Public as well as the REP etc... But BookMarks.... I don't know... I guess, I can make the choice. ;)

Let's go with Default "Public", but allow a "Private" bookmark option. 

Great suggestion on a Topic give feedback on the Forum!

esoare

Edited by esoare
added note (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...