Edit History

RuhNet

RuhNet

3 hours ago, Sergey K said:

How about Second Quarter of 2024 which was promised before? Will it be the same game year over the year again?

In fairness to 2600Hz/Ooma/mc_ , I don't recall any time there was actually a promised date, only "targets", "projections", "estimations", "hopes", "plans", etc. Personally, I'd rather be told an honest hope/estimation/target and then it not be met, than to be promised something concrete and it not be met. The messaging from 2600Hz has been clear and consistent: v5.x will be released open source. The when is the only thing that has not been as expected, and the projections and time estimations have been extended/changed etc. Anyone who has worked on large software projects knows this is difficult to avoid. The Ooma acquisition has obviously further complicated and delayed things on that front.

Have the delays shrunk the community size? I would say probably. But size or involvement of the open source community I would guess is not really high on the company's priority list, particularly in light of the minimal benefit the open source community has brought to the company. I suspect that this pattern of low volume of upstream contributions from the community may be common among open source software projects which have the combination of 1. being very complex  and 2. being of high monetary value to users in a competitive industry. To replicate something as complete and useful for a production environment as Kazoo 4.3, using other open source projects that are available, costs literally at the very least several hundred man-hours of work.  (Trust me---I've done it before: it's not nearly as simple or straightforward as slapping together Freeswitch, Kamailio, a DB and some other things.)

So, whenever the release of v5 happens, it will of course be welcome. I'm not holding my breath, for obvious reasons, and will continue working with v4.3 until then. When v5 finally comes out, I'll see what can be done to merge the changes/customizations/improvements I have made to v4.3, and hopefully use it in my systems.  :)

2600Hz/Ooma employees: don't read the following paragraph. LOL 🤣 

And who knows---these delays may actually strengthen and improve the Kazoo community over a longer period of time: with Centos7 going EOL in a few weeks, current users of Kazoo that have no alternative solution are of necessity going to be forking and compiling their own releases. And once you've done that, the barrier to entry for contributing upstream becomes much lower than when you are a "yum-install-freeloader-gimme-gimme-person" 🤣. So it may end up being a good thing in the long run. 🤭

RuhNet

RuhNet

How about Second Quarter of 2024 which was promised before? Will it be the same game year over the year again?

In fairness to 2600Hz/Ooma/mc_ , I don't recall any time there was actually a promised date, only "targets", "projections", "estimations", "hopes", "plans", etc. Personally, I'd rather be told an honest hope/estimation/target and then it not be met, than to be promised something concrete and it not be met. The messaging from 2600Hz has been clear and consistent: v5.x will be released open source. The when is the only thing that has not been as expected, and the projections and time estimations have been extended/changed etc. Anyone who has worked on large software projects knows this is difficult to avoid. The Ooma acquisition has obviously further complicated and delayed things on that front.

Have the delays shrunk the community size? I would say probably. But size or involvement of the open source community I would guess is not really high on the company's priority list, particularly in light of the minimal benefit the open source community has brought to the company. I suspect that this pattern of low volume of upstream contributions from the community may be common among open source software projects which have the combination of 1. being very complex  and 2. being of high monetary value to users in a competitive industry. To replicate something as complete and useful for a production environment as Kazoo 4.3, using other open source projects that are available, costs literally at the very least several hundred man-hours of work.  (Trust me---I've done it before: it's not nearly as simple or straightforward as slapping together Freeswitch, Kamailio, a DB and some other things.)

So, whenever the release of v5 happens, it will of course be welcome. I'm not holding my breath, for obvious reasons, and will continue working with v4.3 until then. When v5 finally comes out, I'll see what can be done to merge the changes/customizations/improvements I have made to v4.3, and hopefully use it in my systems.  :)

And who knows---these delays may actually strengthen and improve the Kazoo community over a longer period of time: with Centos7 going EOL in a few weeks, current users of Kazoo that have no alternative solution are of necessity going to be forking and compiling their own releases. And once you've done that, the barrier to entry for contributing upstream becomes much lower than just being a "yum-install-freeloader-gimme-gimme-person" 🤣. So it may end up being a good thing in the long run. 🤭

RuhNet

RuhNet

And who knows---these delays may actually strengthen and improve the Kazoo community over a longer period of time: with Centos7 going EOL in a few weeks, current users of Kazoo that have no alternative solution are of necessity going to be forking and compiling their own releases. And once you've done that, the barrier to entry for contributions becomes much lower. So it may end up being a good thing in the long run. 🤭

RuhNet

RuhNet

RuhNet

RuhNet

So, whenever the release of v5 happens, it will of course be welcome. I'm not holding my breath, for obvious reasons, and will continue working with v4.3 until then. When v5 finally comes out, I'll see what can be done to merge and changes/customizations/improvements I have made to v4.3, and hopefully use it in my systems.  :)

RuhNet

RuhNet

2 hours ago, Sergey K said:

Have the delays shrunk the community size? I would say probably. But size or involvement of the open source community I would guess is not really high on the company's priority list, particularly in light of the minimal benefit the open source community has brought to the company. I suspect that this pattern of low volume of upstream contributions from the community may be common among open source software projects which have the combination of 1. being very complex  and 2. being of high monetary value to users in a competitive industry. To replicate something as complete and useful for a production environment as Kazoo 4.3, using other open source projects that are available, costs literally at least several hundred man-hours of work.  (Trust me---I've done it before: it's not nearly as simple or straightforward as slapping together Freeswitch, Kamailio, a DB and some other things.)

So, whenever the release of v5 happens, it will of course be welcome. I'm not holding my breath, for obvious reasons, and will continue working with v4.3 until then. When v5 finally comes out, I'll see what can be done to merge and changes/customizations/improvements I have made to v4.3, and hopefully use it in my systems.  :)