Any interest in an MIT-licensed Ansible Playbook?

Any interest in an MIT-licensed Ansible Playbook?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in using an Ansible Playbook if it were available?

• Yes
    • No

I'm currently working on an MIT-licensed Ansible Playbook to make my life as an administrator a little bit easier, and it's finally reaching a stable state after a few months of on and off development. It supports all of the major roles (Kazoo, BigCouch, RabbitMQ, Monster UI, Kamailio and FreeSwitch) and provides fully automated clustering. It really is as easy as enabling SSH key-based login, adding the hosts to Ansible, running the playbook, importing media, initializing Monster apps and creating the admin user.

I plan on completing this project to suit my needs over time; however, I would be willing to start writing some documentation and moving the individual roles into the Ansible Galaxy to make it easier for others to use, but I want to gauge interest before I start working on these things.

The project is available on GitHub: https://github.com/tnewman/kazoo-ansible, but I don't recommend using it until a stable release is tagged (I still reserve the right to change it right now :D).

Hi kalda,

I'd be really happy to get your feedback if you'd like to test.

Here are some really quick install instructions if you are interested:

1. You need to run CentOS 7 for the Kazoo servers because that's the only distro where there are convenient packages available
  2. Install Ansible on your laptop/devops server
  3. Make sure all of the Ansible nodes are available with SSH key-based login
  4. Make sure all Ansible nodes have passwordless sudo available for the user you'll connect with over SSH
  5. Download the repo from GitHub
  6. Edit group_vars/all to your liking
    1. You should change everything in here to avoid default passwords/certs
    2. Change the domain name to whatever domain you plan on using for Monster UI
  7. Edit your /etc/ansible/hosts (or where ever you keep your inventory) and add the following roles:
    1. bigcouch
    2. rabbitmq
    3. kamailio
    4. freeswitch
    5. kazoo
  8. cd into the Git repository you downloaded and run ansible-playbook site.yml
  9. Perform the normal post-install steps (importing your media, adding your admin user, initializing the Monster apps)

If you end up testing, let me know what kind of issues you run into or additions you'd like to see. I'd like to see if there are any bugs encountered by others and throw together some basic documentation, so I can push out a stable release.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)