Billing Vs Duration Seconds?

Rick Guyton

• Administrators
I believe we take billing seconds from either the time we detect ringing or the time of answer. But total call duration should always be higher for processing time (or ringing, can't remember).

But that should be the differential.

The only exception might be on a transferred call, where one of the call legs may have a lower duration but higher billing but I believe since we always bill on the PSTN leg and you can't transfer the PSTN leg that issue actually should only exist for internal customer to customer calls (so i.e. very rare).

Thanks Darren! That makes sense.

One sec though... We get billed for internal customer to customer calls? Maybe I read that wrong?

Oh one other followup question if I could. When I setup a webhook for call distroy, it looks like I get all of the lose_race call destroys from call groups. Any way to eliminate those?

• Administrators
One sec though... We get billed for internal customer to customer calls? Maybe I read that wrong?
> Yes, across customers you do. People have complained about this but actually the code change required to fix this is like $20,000 worth of work, for a benefit of usually like $0.30. And we then eat bandwidth costs, which will grow as we end up with video. So we'll probably change this at some point but right now it's just something that irritates people but is low $ that we're not going to change (or, if you are calling a crap-ton across our system without the PSTN, then frankly you should pay because you're chewing up bandwidth). Twilio today deals with this by charging $0.0025/min for SIP to SIP calls, which is an option I'd consider. Bottom line is PSTN is only part of the resource calculation when making calls.

> We DON'T charge for extension to extension within the same account.

Oh one other followup question if I could. When I setup a webhook for call distroy, it looks like I get all of the lose_race call destroys from call groups. Any way to eliminate those?   

> This seems like a different topic, can you post in a new thread plz?