Star codes from outside , by calling in

Tuly

What is the best way to forward an EXT from outside the office, elets say by calling in the IVR of the company,  for example a customer calls "I would like to forward my extension but I don't have internet access now"  is it possible they should forward there EXT by calling the in the main IVR and pressing a star code? the same is if someone wants to intercom by calling in from outside the office by pressing *0xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Rick: I like the idea of the DISA. However, once one is "in the system"... how does one specify the extension they wish to forward? And then to whom they wish to forward? I'm facing a similar challenge here. A customer uses a dedicated number for VIP customers of theirs. During business hours it rings a ring group. After hours though they need it to ring the cell phone of the person on call. Easy enough to configure *72 of the extension inside the office to forward. Not so easy to do it while physically outside of the office. Most of the on-call personnel are not tech savvy (nor have computers in this day and age) and would rather not use a computer or their mobile device to log into the web portal and configure call forwarding. Their current PBX allows them to dial a feature code from the main IVR which specifically enables the call forward. Super simple. Hoping to replicate something similar before I migrate this customer over.

for voicemail *97 you could call in from outside and the system is asking you for the mailbox number and the pin, that is good, i am sure we can somehow do the same with *72 but i can't figure out, i fact when you dial *72 from outside we are getting a system message "call forwarding is not available on this line" possible we need to allow *72 specifically in the regex of the menu? 

Ugh, yea, I didn't think about that. There would be no associated device off a DISA, so how would it know what device to forward... If you setup out of office codes like I've laid out here: https://helpcenter.2600hz.com/2600hz/topics/best-practice-out-of-office. You could toggle those via the DISA... But you'd have to use a landline device in your call flow and you wouldn't be able to update the number from the outside...