API to programmatically manipulate calls in progress

Jesse Howard

I am looking through the API documentation and under "realtime call control" it offers information about how to handle/manage call flows, not realtime manipulation of active calls that have been answered by a device as I would expect from the name. Am I missing some keyword in my searching or is this truly not available?

Use case: with webhooks (soon to be websockets) I can get a screen pop of caller information and perform dips into a CRM on an inbound call to display account and recent case information. Ideally that popup also contains one-touch buttons to place the call on hold, park or transfer to the last rep etc. (similar to various existing SalesForce CTI integration apps).

Ultimately the question is: am I spinning my wheels as an API to accomplish this doesn't exist (yet?), or is my vocabulary lacking the correct terms when searching?

I apologize as I didn't specify the hosted product however I still have a question with this answer.

Maybe it is missing in the documentation but the response seems to be suggesting that I can arbitrarily send DTMF digits from an application to simulate the end user pressing keys to trigger these events. Is that the implied response here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
You can only call certain actions on /channels/ ('transfer', 'hangup', 'callflow'). 
Do you know how to do more stuff like start recording / hold etc ???

What I'm looking for is how to do everything by calling api from my server app and keep client app as lightweight as possible.

You can only call certain actions on /channels/ ('transfer', 'hangup', 'callflow'). 
Do you know how to do more stuff like start recording / hold etc ???

What I'm looking for is how to do everything by calling api from my server app and keep client app as lightweight as possible.