Polycom recommended UC version?

sporkman

When brining in a new phone and having issues, is there a recommended version of the Polycom software we should be starting with?  I see the most current if 5.6, and there seem to be quite a few 5.5.x releases.  What version does the provisioning server serve up and when (if ever) do you push upgrades?

Of note, a phone I"m working with now in the lab is at 5.4.0.5841, which is relatively old and I'm wondering if this is why I see the phone complaining about invalid params in kazoo.cfg - perhaps the platform is too far ahead of the phone.

Edited by sporkman (see edit history)

17 hours ago, sporkman said:

When brining in a new phone and having issues, is there a recommended version of the Polycom software we should be starting with?  I see the most current if 5.6, and there seem to be quite a few 5.5.x releases.  What version does the provisioning server serve up and when (if ever) do you push upgrades?

Of note, a phone I"m working with now in the lab is at 5.4.0.5841, which is relatively old and I'm wondering if this is why I see the phone complaining about invalid params in kazoo.cfg - perhaps the platform is too far ahead of the phone

Currently the latest QA tested firmware and used in provisioner 5.5.0.22173 - hope that helps :)

On 11/1/2017 at 10:30 AM, sporkman said:

Interesting.  On a 2600hz partner account if I wipe a phone, load it with the latest 5.5 and then point it at the provisioning server, it gets knocked back to 5.4.0.5841.

Go to advance provisioner. 

Go into the config of a phone

Go to Settings

Go To Firmware

Select a newer firmware that you would like to use. 

Hope that helps. :)

p.s. Screenshot is from a Yealink. 

p.p.s. Do I really have that many tabs open for community threads? WOW! 

image.thumb.png.83d18c54ee2c261e69f39f01421622a8.pngGo to Firmware

p.p.s. If posts help you, consider up-voting the post, by hitting the heart and up-voting or down-voting. 

Thanks - found that.  I do frequently get lost in the UI, so maybe I'm missing it, but after some hunting, I'm not seeing a place to set the default.  I checked at the main "advanced provisioner" level, nothing there. Also looked all over at the account level and didn't find anything.

That said, any good reason to be running something this old?  Does the use of this old version imply that after testing 5.4.x is what's best or just what was out when the account was setup?

11 hours ago, sporkman said:

Thanks - found that.  I do frequently get lost in the UI, so maybe I'm missing it, but after some hunting, I'm not seeing a place to set the default.  I checked at the main "advanced provisioner" level, nothing there. Also looked all over at the account level and didn't find anything.

That said, any good reason to be running something this old?  Does the use of this old version imply that after testing 5.4.x is what's best or just what was out when the account was setup?

The firmware is what was out when that model came out + it is the firmware that was tested by 2600hz. 

They can't test every firmware. But hopefully the option of choosing newer (non-tested by 2600hz) firmware will be available at some time. 

I am NOT sure how to change the default firmware either. 

To my knowledge (limited as it is) there is no way to at the account level. Hopefully when/if we get "Templates" for Phone types/combo keys, etc for accounts, we will have the option to set firmware versions for particular models. 

This would be good to "Inherit" from the Provider level, in my opinion. 

This post goes into some of that. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to pop in on this one again, as we're seeing issues with people using sidecars.  I have to dig again to find the Polycom thread, but there's a bug in older versions that causes the sidecar to lock up, so I want to get those customers running something with that fixed.

Any other insight onto where the "default" comes from?  Would love to be able to set that on a per-site basis.