Migrate IssabelPBX (and Asterisk) users to Kazoo

fmateo05

Frequently, i give some information to  asterisk users, in their forums about the existence of Kazoo as an excellent alternative, typically when they  have issues on their asterisk installs. Most of them don't know about Kazoo Platform and they resist thinking about a new learning curve.

On some of those forums they forbid me to talk about alternatives, may be to avoid losing customers and so on. Anyway i am  finding out some other methods and also would give them a tour about migrating to kazoo platform.

• Administrators
On 10/8/2020 at 3:21 PM, fmateo05 said:

Frequently, i give some information to  asterisk users, in their forums about the existence of Kazoo as an excellent alternative, typically when they  have issues on their asterisk installs. Most of them don't know about Kazoo Platform and they resist thinking about a new learning curve.

On some of those forums they forbid me to talk about alternatives, may be to avoid losing customers and so on. Anyway i am  finding out some other methods and also would give them a tour about migrating to kazoo platform.

Thanks for this. We debated a migration tool once upon a time. I'd still be open to it. Our findings were that most people:

* Hated re-recording prompts/greetings

* Wanted their voicemail setup and greetings transferred over (but oddly didn't  care about their existing/old messages)

* Wanted their dialplan to stay the same

Those were the main sticking points unless somebody was a heavy fax user. With Kazoo's APIs I don't think it'd be that hard. I'll see what I can come up with. Of course Asterisk is a bit free-form textbox so it's not straightforward, but it does seem possible.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:21 PM, fmateo05 said:

It may help if the documentation for he CentOS 7 install documentation had the following for us new folks:

• More clear, or detailed information in some areas
  • Updated information when things get changed
  • More items to look at when some errors appear

Because of those things, I still have been unable to get version 4 installed.

As of now it is in the Monster UI.

In the docs it states:

# Update Monster's config for Crossbar's URL 
sed -i "s/localhost/${IP_ADDR}/" /var/www/html/monster-ui/js/config.js

However, "localhost," or any other IP address does not even exist in /var/www/html/monster-ui/js/config.js

This means the documentation for installation is not correct.

I was able to solve that with some help, but after adding the IP address, I restart and visit MonsterUI again, I am getting more errors

84036585_Screenshotfrom2020-09-2814-52-32.png.c631298e3aafb2bd2d26c70e17794abd.png

There are some other minor issues in the documentation which are a problem also.

So getting 404 on whitelabel doesn't mean much, it just means you haven't set up whitelabelling (which is perfectly OK).
Same with the braintree.

You could also fork the install guide, update it then submit a PR to get it updated.

You are correct that it no longer has the line "localhost" in the configJS, as it uses the request url AFAIK if it is not defined, which works if Monster and Kazoo Apps are installed on the same server. Otherwise, you need to set it up specific to your environment as per https://docs.2600hz.com/ui/docs/configuration/

On 10/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, Mooseable said:

So getting 404 on whitelabel doesn't mean much, it just means you haven't set up whitelabelling (which is perfectly OK).
Same with the braintree.

You could also fork the install guide, update it then submit a PR to get it updated.

You are correct that it no longer has the line "localhost" in the configJS, as it uses the request url AFAIK if it is not defined, which works if Monster and Kazoo Apps are installed on the same server. Otherwise, you need to set it up specific to your environment as per https://docs.2600hz.com/ui/docs/configuration/

Thank you for these clarifications.

People not familiar are not even sure what to expect once the install is completed, nor given any guidance on what to do next after following the CentOS 7 install guide.

I feel adding little things like that would certainly help people get into Kazoo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...