Toll-free numbers and KAZOO

DanH

• 2600Hz Employees

Changing formats a bit here! Today's TWIL post focuses on toll-free numbers (TFNs) and how they work on our platform. Following are some main points about TFNs and how they work with KAZOO and in general across the telecom world.

Toll-free numbers are designed to allow callers to pass the cost of the call on to the number owner. As such, they are structurally different from a typical phone number a private or commercial customer would have. Per the FCC, TFNs have the following prefixes, as an example of the differences between them and "regular" phone numbers: 800, 888, 877, 866, 855, 844 and 833. You can read more about what TFNs are directly from the FCC for USA numbers here: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/what-toll-free-number-and-how-does-it-work

2600Hz works with various carrier partners and are pleased to be able to offer TFNs as a solution for businesses and entities which require their special functionalities and billing. However, being that the flexibility of VoIP and our platform allows for a vast degree of configurability, there are some particularities that must be kept in mind when setting up a toll-free number on KAZOO so that any possible issues that arise from misconfiguration can be avoided.

• Who can and can't call TFNs?
    • US and Canada callers only, no international calls. International numbers calling in to our toll-free numbers will not work, the carriers will simply not pass it through.
    • Payphones are not able to call TFNs, the call will fail.
    • Calls with improper caller IDs (CIDs) will also fail:
      • If we are unable to identify the Caller ID properly, the call will generally not be allowed. This means the caller ID of someone calling our TFN.
      • However, some toll-free companies may charge a surcharge and deliver the call anyway.
    •    Other Toll-Free Numbers:
      • If your Caller ID is set to a toll-free number, you generally will not be able to call another toll-free number. This has a lot to do with what the caller ID is. TFNs are generally not designed to make outgoing calls as well.
      • Sometimes with these the same thing happens with the point above about Caller ID; some end up allowed through and result in extra charges.

These are the main points about how TFNs function on our platform. If you observe strange behavior involving a TFN and calls on your account, such as in the case of an improper CID passing through and connecting and resulting in an unusual charge you note, please make sure to check your configurations around caller IDs and your toll-free numbers before opening a support ticket to investigate further. 

• 2600Hz Employees
On 7/8/2022 at 6:42 PM, Skunkbeard said:

My pleasure! However I wanted to follow up here and ask you about those links you posted in reference to the matter of calls being dropped due to packet loss: is that an active question you have at this time or were you referencing those docs and files as part of some larger discussion possible happening elsewhere on the topic? Or is it that you would like to see that material covered in a future TWIL archive posting? If I could kindly request your elaboration on that I would be happy to work on finding answers or developing some content to post on the matter in upcoming TWIL postings, thanks! 

@DanH No it was more a my own TWIL for hang up explanations. I am still looking into what a dropped call might report if it does at all. I was more thinking out loud incase someone saw it and might have an answer to it.  The links I got from a support ticket and a comment from MC in another thread on hang up reasons. Was just sharing them as I found them in my journey to figure out if dropped calls from packet loss report a different type of hang up cause. 

• 2600Hz Employees
17 hours ago, Skunkbeard said:

@DanH No it was more a my own TWIL for hang up explanations. I am still looking into what a dropped call might report if it does at all. I was more thinking out loud incase someone saw it and might have an answer to it.  The links I got from a support ticket and a comment from MC in another thread on hang up reasons. Was just sharing them as I found them in my journey to figure out if dropped calls from packet loss report a different type of hang up cause. 

Ah that's awesome! So to clarify one of the main ideas behind this subforum, we are actively encouraging users like yourself to also make your own TWIL posts based on information that you've discovered and verified on your own as well, we're crowd sourcing this concept! This is exactly in the spirit the forum, all you need to do is give it its own post and voila, first community contributor to TWIL archives. 😃 Please let me know if I can clarify anything about this further, it's a work in progress as usual and we can always work on explaining things or defining the idea and boundaries better. Thanks @Skunkbeard!

11 hours ago, DanH said:

Ah that's awesome! So to clarify one of the main ideas behind this subforum, we are actively encouraging users like yourself to also make your own TWIL posts based on information that you've discovered and verified on your own as well, we're crowd sourcing this concept! This is exactly in the spirit the forum, all you need to do is give it its own post and voila, first community contributor to TWIL archives. 😃 Please let me know if I can clarify anything about this further, it's a work in progress as usual and we can always work on explaining things or defining the idea and boundaries better. Thanks @Skunkbeard!

@DanH Ah I see ok I thought you guys were making a weekly post and we add to it. I was thinking that because I didn't see the orange button to create a new post. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2600Hz Employees
On 7/13/2022 at 10:16 PM, Skunkbeard said:

@DanH Ah I see ok I thought you guys were making a weekly post and we add to it. I was thinking that because I didn't see the orange button to create a new post. 

@Skunkbeard SUPER WEIRD you totally revealed something I wasn't aware was the case: checking permissions that I thought I had set to permit appropriate groups to post directly here, I noticed the permission settings were in fact not correct! Fixed thought! Now you can post new TWIL topics in here as you happen upon them, and thanks for pointing that out for me!