Caller ID - Adding Caller ID for number not in the system.

Skunkbeard

I am sure many of you have ran into this but just wanted to make a post as it has been a while.

When adding caller ID for a number not in the system. You put in the number and need to be able to answer on the line the number is setup on. 

However, It cannot be forwarded  to your direct number for the purpose of getting the call for the PIN. (cant be forwarded in anyway)

image.png

Areas where you can find this:

• SmartPBX > User > User Features > Caller ID > Number Drop Down > Add New Caller ID
  • Adv Callflow > Users > Select User > Outbound Caller ID Number Drop Down > Add New Caller ID
  • Number Manager > Caller ID Numbers Tab > Add

So in our case we have a separate fax service we use for our medical offices. So we are unable to masquerade their satellite fax numbers ad the primary one so all faxes go into their EMR. 

Would be nice if there was a way around this. If anyone knows let me know. But it would also be nice if there could be an option in the port process for just caller ID where we can submit a sign document from the customer confirming they own the number and a copy of the bill. To just masquerade the number. (Ill submit a feature request) But wanted to know if anyone else has ran into the problem. 

Edited by Skunkbeard
Added info (see edit history)

• 2600Hz Employees

@Skunkbeard Thank you for this! I was signed into my testing account for other shenanigans and didn't see this, sorry for the delay! I'm also going to ask the team about that workaround, that's an interesting one, I'll have to put on my robe and wizard hat to get into the Cabal of Fax archives but we'll see what we find. 

EDIT: I may have misread that a bit, the actual workaround would be for getting the call to be forwarded in that scenario of the number not complying with STIR/SHAKEN requirements (not being owned by the account), not exclusively for fax purposes though but as an example; still going to check on that with the team, still dressing up for it. 

chris parnell wizard GIF

@tomas_ Its a requirement for STIR/SHAKEN

Version 5.1.48 | Hosted | 2600hz Carrier

SmartPBX > User > User Features > Caller ID > Number Drop Down > Add New Caller ID

Adv Callflow > Users > Select User > Outbound Caller ID Number Drop Down > Add New Caller ID

Number Manager > Caller ID Numbers Tab > Add

Edited by Skunkbeard (see edit history)

• 2600Hz Employees

Hey @Skunkbeard and @tomas_, so I just checked with the team and the official response on this was as follows: 

Unfortunately due to the nature of the STIR/SHAKEN compliance requirements, the workaround proposed isn't possible for hosted accounts based on how the authentication works on our platform. However, this would be an option for Private Cloud and Global Infrastructure customers as they manage their own compliance with those requirements. 

I hope that's helpful in some way, and thanks for bringing this up, interesting area and use case!