API for Reseller Accounting

Rick Guyton

It would be nice to have API access to the Reseller Accounting tool. I know Darren commented that the Reseller tool simply accesses existing APIs and that's probably true. But, I'd bet there's a heck of a lot of API calls and logic applied. It'd be extremely convenient to be able to make a single API call and get a nicely formatted JSON back that I can use a tool like Zapier to auto-generate invoices into my quickbooks online.

• 1 month later...
  • 2600Hz Employees
Hi Rick, this is great feedback. Since you've had a chance to see how the Reseller Accounting tool functions, do you still feel that the APIs would be helpful? We plan on adding more functionality to this App as well, so if there are additional features you would like to see included, please let me know. Thanks! 

Hi Katie,
I've looked at it and I like what I see. It's really nice to be able to pull a report and make sure that I'm profitable across all of my accounts. And I really like the ability to do this.

What'd be nice is if I could pull the Calls to UNITED STATES - INBOUND TOLL FREE. from an API somehow. What we do right now is just charge a flat $30/month for a toll free number, then hope that toll fees don't exceed the $30.

Also, we don't currently allow international calling at all. Because, well we can't really bill for it.

You might say that I could just pull this report every month and get these figures, then add them to the bill. To that, I'd say you are right. But, we only offer items that can be billed out automatically. 

FYI Rick what we were doing until the reseller accounting app was available was going back and looking at how much credit the client had used each month, calculating (used dollar amount divided by 2600hz toll free rate) and then resetting their account to a set number every month. This worked, but the issue was that we weren't REALLY sure that we were billing for toll free, since that opened the account up to let international charges take place. We weren't risking going into the negative that way, but we were potentially under billing our clients if they had international calls.

That being said, when we started doing this years ago, the restriction to stop international calls didn't work and we were told the only real way to prevent them was by unchecking the box that allows clients to incur any charge-related calls.

An API like you mentioned would be fantastic though. It's annoying to do all of this manual billing every month.

Hi Karl. Yea, we were using FlowRoute to manage all our toll free number for exactly this reason. Then 2600hz decided that that'd cost me $200/month to continue doing (for BYOC). So... I figured my potential downside on international calls was not nearly as high as $200/month. And with that logic, I somewhat begrudgingly ported them over and sucked it up on potential international calls.

Now that I'm able to run these reports though, I see that I've really been raking it on on these toll free numbers. Not a single account has ever exceed $30 in tolls in a month. I think because all of these accounts also have local numbers as well and they all call out with the local caller ID. So their clients are much more likely to save the local number than the toll free.

• 1 month later...