Groups and Outbound Caller ID

I'm still trying to sort out what used to be a simple task.

How can I enable caller ID for a user/device when the call is part of a Call Group?

For example

Joe has his own DID 555-555-1000 and ext has 1000 but when he doesn't answer I want to ring Jeff at 1001 and Sue at ext 1002.

Seems simple enough but when I create the group with his extion I can no longer assign his caller ID to his DID (555-555-1000)?

Problem is the number is no longer tied to the user but instead it's being used by the group and no longer available?

On this note can I use the older portal to set the caller ID or will this break things?

-Dane

• Administrators
I'm sorry you feel this is no longer simple.

I think it's really the same as before, though? Just use the Advanced Callflow editor for this. This is not a standard PBX extension if you're having it ring through multiple people. Hence the purpose of the advanced callflow editor.

• Administrators
Got it.

The goal is really that Advanced Callflows are for callflows NOT created by SmartPBX. Though you are right, they should not show up in there anyway as editable if you created them in SmartPBX (unless you went into Kazoo UI and played with them first).

The system tracks the last thing that "touched"/updated them. If it was SmartPBX then they should only be edited in SmartPBX.

Darren, I'm not sure what you mean by it's the same as before - it's not even close? Before I would have just gone to the device and put the correct caller ID on it. 

I keep thinking I'm missing something obvious but if I am I can't imagine what. I want a single user's unanswered calls to ring other users hence a call flow or group but I still want the device to have caller ID. If I could assign a device to a group that would solve my problem I think. 

It seems like it should be simple. Create a call flow or have a call flow as user. And give the device caller ID.  The part that has me thinking I must be missing something is groups and call flows seem have very limited usefulness if you can't use them along with your DIDs? The only way I can see to access them is from DIDs and extensions that aren't used elsewhere? 

I may try setting caller ID through Kazoo and see if I get lucky otherwise I have to find my client another provider or setup another solution just for them.

I do appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you,
-Dane

• Administrators
But I guess I'm more asking, why not design the whole thing (Device, User, Callflow) in Advanced Callflows? The purpose of SmartPBX is for users who generally keep things simple - users w/ direct DIDs and extensions, a main IVR, and groups. That's it.

If you're outside that realm (which it seems you are) then just manage the account inside Advanced Callflows.

Darren,

It looks like I was missing not 1 but 2 things.

1.) I assumed Advance Callflow augmented SmartPBX - not replaced it.  

2.) It never occurred to me to look for Caller ID in the Advanced Callflow but now that I understand Advance Callflow is NOT part of SmartPBX I guess it makes sense.

I didn't even look at Advanced Callflow beyond what I needed to do with the call flow. Seems to me Advance Callflow is the SmartPBX and SmartPBX would be better named SimplePBX :)

I fixed the Caller ID and if it works I'll replace my call flows with groups. And if that doesn't work I'll start over and just do the whole thing in Advanced Callflow.

Thank you both again!
-Dane