Can someone explain how Park Orbits work on 2600hz?

Michael D

• 2600Hz Employees
Park Orbit was demo'd at KazooCon as a proof of concept, but isn't ready for release yet :) Basically, it would allow you to park calls in one spot, and use the display screen of the phone to choose which call you want to pick up. (I believe this is a Polycom-specific feature at the moment). We'll notify you as we know more about the roadmap and when you can start testing. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
You can see how this would work on polycom on this doc, starting at the bottom of page 10: http://support.polycom.com/global/documents/support/technical/products/voice/Static_BLF_TB62475.pdf

Also, I worked with a developer to patch FreeSWITCH to make the valet park presence work for this scenario. I don't know if that would help things since I believe you use Kamailio for presence, but let me know if I can be of assistance.

Is there something that I'm missing? Park orbit sounds like a huge pain based on this and I don't see why clients would use it. Maybe if they need hundreds of parking spots and don't want (or can't have) sidecars? Still though, what is the likelihood of a single user needing more parking spots than a phone has sidecars for?

Agreed. But here is the sweet spot: It only benefits people on phones with 2-4 line keys and no side car. So while the receptionist at a dental office (our target market) has a 12 line key phone and a sidecar, when he/she puts a call into the park orbit, the crappy polycom 335 in the operatory room has access to that orbit now on its second line key. 

If every phone is a VVX 410+, then no need for this feature.

Definitely a good point...we experience that with most of the SoundPoint IP models because while there may be enough line keys for BLF, then they don't have enough room for presence. This is why we've switched over 100% to the VVX series for new customers and we're even changing out some of our long time customers who are on the Polycom 430s (the 2 line non backlit ones).

On a side note, the SP IP 335 is awful imho and we've refused to sell them as a result. Polycom has made it SO small that it is nearly impossible to use and navigate.