Faxbox Send Settings

Marie

Looks like the faxbox send settings have changed to use the customer's realm/domain.  Will the original one still work? (fax to number@xxxxxxx.fax.zswitch.net)  Or do we need to alert our customer's to use their new send format?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: New Release updates list? Canned announcement for our customers and our reseller....

I am told I need to add DNS MX record to our domain in order to have the Faxbox working again for our customers.  Looks like this will not be reflected in the Monster UI User>Faxbox settings to use as it shows the settings for using their domain.  Maybe I will just have them setup their domain DNS MX record for faxing but looks like there is more to setup on the white labeling/branding side of things.  Do you have instructions for this?

I just clarified with 2600hz support the DNS ZONE MX record needed.  All I had to do was go add an MX record for our domain/realm.  

Instructions as follows:

add a mapping for your domain:

*.x.xxxxxxx.com

So that, in addition to the A records you already have, you now add a new MX record of "fax.zswitch.net". This is required going forward for our customer's to keep using faxbox.

• 2600Hz Employees
Thanks, Karl and Marie. Just to clarify:
Fax boxes that were setup prior to an upgrade the week of 5/11/15 were not able to use white-label domain names, and had names such as XXXX.fax.zswitch.net. We listened to your comments about the ability to white-label domain names for fax box, so we changed it to use account realms. 

Moving forward, you are now required to set up a MX record pointing your realm to fax.zswitch.net. 

If a fax box previously had been setup with the old XXX.fax.zswitch.net domain, you can still use that. But new fax boxes will now use your white-label domain.

Just as a general comment, I found out the hard way that some of the fax boxes (even those setup prior to May 11th) stopped working with xxx.fax.zswitch.net without explanation and started needing the realm instead.

I would advise all other partners to just go through and delete/re-create faxboxes based on our experience.

• 3 weeks later...
Can we dumb it down a bit for me.
My hosted domain is sip.cleartrunk.com, this pbx account is ctpbx.sip.cleartrunk.com

So.. will the host be sip or do I need to add an MX record for each pbx? like ctpbx.sip?
Are we sure it is an MX record or a CName/Alias?

Or do I create a CName of sip, point it ..arggg.. Help.

DNS records are all independent of each other so you can have multiple of the same name with different types without causing conflicts or duplicates.

As a result, what you need to do is setup a wildcard MX record which is just "*.sip.cleartrunk.com" and then set a priority of 1 with an address of fax.zswitch.net - off the top of my head I can't remember the exact syntax for GoDaddy for the first part, and I don't even know 100% that GoDaddy supports wildcards so don't quote me on that :-)

This record won't affect the CNAME that you setup since it's totally separate.