Sharing Media Files with Child Accounts?

Josh Robbins

Does anyone know how to share media files for use in menus between parent and child accounts? I can do this via the API with hold music no problem using xxxxx/yyyyy where xxxx is the parent account ID and yyyy is the id of the media file in the parent account, however it doesn't work when trying to do this in a menu using the "greeting". The system doesn't accept more than 64 characters.

The use case is I have a customer with 200 locations, each with a sub account. They all need to share the main greeting for their auto attendant and I don't want to upload it 250 times...I want to reference the media ID of the file stored in the parent account.

• 2600Hz Employees

@Josh Robbins Ah, we can relax the schema to be 128 chars instead. I'll get a PR up today for that. If you're running your own system, you can edit the 'system_schemas / menus' document. Look under the "media" object for maxLength and change it to 128 (although, since technically you can put URLs there but of course RFC 2616 and 7230 say there's no defined limit - it is server-dependent - so...pick a value. It seems like 2048 is probably "big enough").

• 2600Hz Employees

@Josh Robbins sorry! PR is a pull request - when a developer wants to change something in Kazoo, they issue a PR to be reviewed by the team then merged into the project. I'll issue a PR to change the schema, get a team member to review, and then the next upgrade of the platform will change the schema's restriction. So it will be delayed a bit from being realized on the hosted platform but will make its way there eventually.

Does that clarify things?

• 11 months later...

OK - it's a year later and I'm still trying to solve this problem. It seems the schema has been relaxed and I can now update the media ID in the menu to reference the parent/media_id format. Unfortunately all I get is dead air...but the menu functions (the caller can enter digits). Is there something preventing the media from streaming?