IP Phone Dial Plans

FASTDEVICE

This is more of an informative post around improving client experience with IP Phones. I've been using (Yealink) Dial Plan rules to emulate the response of an analog phone for years. It has been the recipe for a great user experience and I was wondering if anyone else is using them, and if so, how? I'll start by publishing my set of rules, and hopefully this could extend to better practice and rules for other phone manufacturers.    

Dial Now

1. 1[0-1]xx
  2. 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx
  3. [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx
  4. [3469]11
  5. *[1-9]x
  6. *01xxx
  7. **1xxx

Block Out

1. 1900x.

• 2600Hz Employees

I will throw in doing similar things on the server side (never hurts to have redundancy!):

1. Classifiers can be used to restrict/allow dialing numbers. In your example, a classifier for "\\+?1900\\d+" could be added to deny access to these numbers

2. Dial plans can convert "local" dials to appropriate representations. You can prepend area codes, country codes, add access codes, whatever is needed.

These will operate independent of the phone manufacturer which is nice in case a phone is misconfigured, tampered with, credentials stolen, etc. Good security is built in layers (just like ogres and cakes)!

• 3 weeks later...