Faxing Print Driver

Anthony Goss

• Administrators
Hi Anthony,
     We demonstrated the Google Cloud Print integration at KazooCon. However, when we deployed it to a test group, NOBODY could understand how it works. Like, literally, everyone couldn't figure it out. Google requires you to register a printer with these auth IDs which must be done from your own Google Account, and must be set for each individual account with a Unique ID that you have to track and copy/paste into Kazoo. Apparently this was just a huge issue.

So we shifted instead to email to fax for our focus, because everyone seems to know how to use email.

We may pick this up again, we're not sure. You're the first person to ask about it in a long time.

As ridiculous as it may seem for us techies, the email to fax option is still confusing for those less familiar with technology. People often make typos, try to attach Word documents, try to attach documents too large, etc. It seems to take care of the need for about 70% of our clients, but the other 30% who heavily fax we had to offer them an alternative platform. I think the Google Cloud Print would allow this other 30% to be able to use 2600hz based faxing again, but I do realize and understand the challenges in working with it.

• 4 weeks later...
What about adding it to the USER PORTAL for the other 30 percent? When uploading it automatically checks to make sure it's the right file type. You would have to enter the number properly. And you could have confirmation that the fax went through. Also, the incoming faxes won't go outside the System, into email, hacko-sphere... just some thoughts. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
I like the user portal idea. These are great ideas. Are you guys filing these in tickets.2600hz.com? Each time we get to a planning phase for a particular portion of the product (i.e. "the next 3 weeks we're doing faxing!") we do a search in JIRA for all things with the word "fax" for example. So while the tickets may seem ignored, they quickly get done in bulk when we touch a feature, so this is worth your time to do.

The user portal would be fantastic.  We've used other sip pbx software before that had the ability to upload and send faxes through a user portal, as well as view and download received faxes.  The entire history of faxes and their associated status were available from within the user portal and that was much less confusing to the end users.

Just filed.

KAZOO-4624 (this is for User Portal normal users...maybe should have been filed under UIUI?)

UIUI-2093 (this is for Admin's that get access to the Main Fax, having the ability to see the Main Fax in their User Portal, or a seperate Admin/Workgroup portal)

esoare