get a Auth Token shortcut?

Tuly

have i just discovered america? is this an official way to get the Auth Token of an account? when you are on any page in kazoo press "cd" it will bring up a page with the account name,  account ID, and the Auth Token,  makes my life much easier now....

• Administrators

LOL this feature was discussed on one of our webinars about a year ago :-)

Press the question mark key on any screen for more tips. You must use keyboard shortcuts only when a text box is not already selected (otherwise it thinks you're typing in the text box).

You just need to push d, not cd, in this case.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

Wow, thanks @Tuly! I was pulling my hair out trying to find the account ID and generate an auth token now that I can't get it from Kazoo :-P Using the API to get those pieces of information was annoying lol.

What do you mean "now that I can't get it from Kazoo"? The Account ID is available in both the account manager and the currently logged in user's control center, and the auth token was never available in the old Kazoo UI. It's the same as it has always been?

The only thing the debug option allows for is retrieving the auth-token, which has never been exposed previously.

...and Darren, correct me if I'm wrong, but the auth-token it shows is temporary. If so, not a lot of value unless one quickly copy & pastes it to a cURL call and if you are going to that extent, Postman is your friend.

Don't understand what the auth-token is being used for in the two cases above. My though is I'd give some instruction on using Postman.  

• Administrators

That's correct. To support single sign-on features in the future, we moved to JWT-based authentication in 4.0. It also allows us to avoid storing additional information in our database about your authentication mechanism.

Please read https://jwt.io/introduction/ if you would like to understand more about this technology, it is a common web standard now (RFC 7519). While it may seem more complicated it actually paves the way for single sign-on when you link it to your own Monster apps in the future, while also allowing our systems to work better in a distributed manner (less data to sync across nodes), among other things.

• Administrators

We are working on supporting OAuth and a few other strategies as a baseline. Past that we can open it up for suggestions. Sponsorship is always welcome, as it helps us fund the development of such projects. Feel free to drop a note to sales@2600hz.com for that portion, but you are welcome to continue to post ideas here regardless.

9 hours ago, Darren Schreiber said:

What do you mean "now that I can't get it from Kazoo"? The Account ID is available in both the account manager and the currently logged in user's control center, and the auth token was never available in the old Kazoo UI. It's the same as it has always been?

The only thing the debug option allows for is retrieving the auth-token, which has never been exposed previously.

In Kazoo you could just go to the account manager and click the account and it would show you the account ID. I didn't realize that feature was still there in Monster, but it was hidden.

As for the auth token, I was using the developer app to get that. Like @Tuly mentioned most of the time I need to run a super short and simple API command. I found it annoying (even with Postman) to go through the multi-step process to a) figure out the account ID, b) generate a token, and c) then use that token to run the API command, versus just logging into the GUI and copying and pasting the account ID and auth token. Even though the auth token changes, as long as I just go to the GUI and copy and paste the most recent one then it's fine.

• Administrators
Just now, Karl Stallknecht said:

In Kazoo you could just go to the account manager and click the account and it would show you the account ID. I didn't realize that feature was still there in Monster, but it was hidden.

As for the auth token, I was using the developer app to get that. Like @Tuly mentioned most of the time I need to run a super short and simple API command. I found it annoying (even with Postman) to go through the multi-step process to a) figure out the account ID, b) generate a token, and c) then use that token to run the API command, versus just logging into the GUI and copying and pasting the account ID and auth token. Even though the auth token changes, as long as I just go to the GUI and copy and paste the most recent one then it's fine.

Got it. So my point in my reply was that nothing was taken away from Kazoo UI, nor intentionally hidden. All the things available in Kazoo UI are still available in Monster UI, and have infact been enhanced to make it easier (hence the 'd' key to get the data with one push). So hopefully you see this as an improvement. Your original post seemed to imply we took something away that was there before - we did not.

1 minute ago, Darren Schreiber said:

Got it. So my point in my reply was that nothing was taken away from Kazoo UI, nor intentionally hidden. All the things available in Kazoo UI are still available in Monster UI, and have infact been enhanced to make it easier (hence the 'd' key to get the data with one push). So hopefully you see this as an improvement. Your original post seemed to imply we took something away that was there before - we did not.

No, sorry Darren. My original post should have been worded to say that I *THOUGHT* the functionality was no longer in Monster. But you/Tuly showed me that it was there all along. But I still think a keyboard shortcut is indeed "hidden" if it's not posted anywhere (that I can find).

The reason why im excited about it,  when I have to do a quick API, lets say change The park ring back or change the outbound caller ID, in order to get the token I have to put in the username and password of an extension,  hash it then copy paste a few times to get the token, (Maybe there is an easier way,  I don't know ) 
I do it just on a Linux server, 

1 hour ago, FASTDEVICE said:

right, I'm aware there are two, but related topics, here. The ability to view the account and auth string, and then using the token somewhere in the UI. Where are they using the token?   Karl referenced a "developer's app."  I see no such app.

Ohh right! So then yes, technically functionality was removed lol.

1 hour ago, Tuly said:

The reason why im excited about it,  when I have to do a quick API, lets say change The park ring back or change the outbound caller ID, in order to get the token I have to put in the username and password of an extension,  hash it then copy paste a few times to get the token, (Maybe there is an easier way,  I don't know ) 
I do it just on a Linux server, 

Ditto

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Karl Stallknecht said:

Ohh right! So then yes, technically functionality was removed lol.

Now we're splitting hairs and finding things to complain about. OK, I'll bite.

This thread is about Account IDs and Auth Tokens in the GUI. If you want to change the topic to the old Developer's app, I again state that the move from Kazoo UI to Monster UI had no change or removal in functionality. That's because the developer's app was replaced over 2 years ago in the Kazoo UI. Considering that this is the first time anyone has brought it up, I'm assuming this functionality was not missed. It wasn't a working product, it was supposed to be a demo, and it was not kept up to date with the latest functionality because it took too much time to do so. Postman was the replacement, as it provides a better experience and is easier to manage. If you have an issue with the Developer App missing, then please start a different thread - don't hijack this one, as it's totally unrelated.

On 9/24/2017 at 12:08 AM, Darren Schreiber said:

LOL this feature was discussed on one of our webinars about a year ago :-)

Press the question mark key on any screen for more tips. You must use keyboard shortcuts only when a text box is not already selected (otherwise it thinks you're typing in the text box).

You just need to push d, not cd, in this case.

@Darren Schreiber

How about a Go to Application "Debug" shift+d  ?? 

image.png.8f0e96bb4c2b76e89880efbf1c055763.png

• 2 years later...