2600hz Hosted RTP Media Servers

Hello,

On the hosted platform are there RTP media servers in all three locations East, Central, and West?

I am troubleshooting audio issues and it seems like we only ever get 8.30.x.x or 8.36.x.x when specifying the outbound proxy as either us-central.p.zswitch.net or us-east.p.zswitch.net.

When the outbound proxy is configured as us-central.p.zswitch.net the RTP media is typically 8.30.x.x which is high latency with packet loss.

When the outbound proxy is configured as us-east.p.zswitch.net  the RTP media is typically 8.36.x.x which is performs better.

I was hoping and wondering if there are any RTP media servers in ORD.  If there are I am trying to figure out why they never get chosen.

Additionally, if there are only 2 sets of RTP media servers I am going to have to start specifying US-EAST because using the media from 8.30.x.x is not working out at all.

When I look at the 2600hz SRV records I see references to ORD and EWR for US-CENTRAL.  SJC only gets referenced in US-WEST.  Please advise.

*edit*

Just to clarify, this is when using Yealink DNS-NAPTR with port 0 for server host and outbound proxy.

Edited by Logicwrath (see edit history)

Just to clarify further in case this is hard to follow.  When using SRV/NAPTR and selecting us-central.p.zswitch.net as the outbound proxy the phones are using SJC for their media servers in the 8.30.x.x range.  We are now having to update all of our configs to use US-EAST until this gets reviewed and resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not re-visited this since I made the original posting.  I was hoping to get some kind of official response.  We use Yealink phones.  You can logon to the phones web interface, and then  go to the Status -> RTP Status page.  From here you will see what the "Remote IP" is for the current or previous call.  I found that when using US-CENTRAL it is using RTP media from SJC which is on the west coast.  I have not tested this again since I posted it.  I suspect it is still doing it.  I moved all of my phones over to US-EAST for now until this gets some review.

Are there media servers in Chicago or only in US-EAST and US-WEST?

We see packet loss and poor audio from using SJC media servers as we are in Michigan near Chicago.

45 minutes ago, Logicwrath said:

I have not re-visited this since I made the original posting.  I was hoping to get some kind of official response.  We use Yealink phones.  You can logon to the phones web interface, and then  go to the Status -> RTP Status page.  From here you will see what the "Remote IP" is for the current or previous call.  I found that when using US-CENTRAL it is using RTP media from SJC which is on the west coast.  I have not tested this again since I posted it.  I suspect it is still doing it.  I moved all of my phones over to US-EAST for now until this gets some review.

Are there media servers in Chicago or only in US-EAST and US-WEST?

We see packet loss and poor audio from using SJC media servers as we are in Michigan near Chicago.

Tested Central/West and East, and I see what you see. 

us-central.p.xxxxxx.net uses RTP IP of 8.3x.x.x which is a west coast Media server (from the little I know.:) ) ... 

Good question on the Media Servers in Central.

I am facing issues with packet loss and poor audio on west coast, but IT is PROBABLY the Comcast/Cox providers../local equipment...At least that is what I am thinkin... 

Interesting...

esoare 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The media servers in ORD are 8.45.131.x . However there is a packet fragmentation problem in ORD when the packets are sourced from Rackspace servers, so we  had temporarily disabled them. We will be restoring them this weekend, so you should start seeing that source IP as of Monday.

10 hours ago, Darren Schreiber said:

The media servers in ORD are 8.45.131.x . However there is a packet fragmentation problem in ORD when the packets are sourced from Rackspace servers, so we  had temporarily disabled them. We will be restoring them this weekend, so you should start seeing that source IP as of Monday.

What you mentioned above...would it affect the phones I point to us-west.p.zswitch.net? 

Just troubleshooting some issues with new customers...

• Administrators

Logicwrath, in your case, I looked up your IPs. You have one on Comcast that's all over the map but seems to be an issue on your side, and one via WideOpenWest that seems just fine.

# ping 74.94.X.X
PING 74.94.X.X (74.94.X.X) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=59.6 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=38.0 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=25.3 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=4 ttl=58 time=40.7 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=5 ttl=58 time=21.0 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=6 ttl=58 time=64.3 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=7 ttl=58 time=56.4 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=8 ttl=58 time=51.8 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=9 ttl=58 time=32.0 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=10 ttl=58 time=28.9 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=11 ttl=58 time=45.9 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=12 ttl=58 time=73.0 ms
64 bytes from 74.94.X.X: icmp_seq=13 ttl=58 time=61.9 ms
^C
--- 74.94.X.X ping statistics ---
13 packets transmitted, 13 received, 0% packet loss, time 12016ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 21.041/46.103/73.057/15.879 ms
[root@fs001 ~]# ping 67.149.X.X
PING 67.149.X.X (67.149.X.X) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=17.4 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=16.9 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=16.9 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=16.1 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=5 ttl=60 time=20.4 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=6 ttl=60 time=18.9 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=7 ttl=60 time=15.8 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=8 ttl=60 time=17.9 ms
64 bytes from 67.149.X.X: icmp_seq=9 ttl=60 time=17.2 ms
^C
--- 67.149.X.X ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0% packet loss, time 8011ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 15.842/17.543/20.499/1.367 ms

A traceroute to the poor looking route shows that we are at 8.7ms to the handoff point with Comcast in Shelby, MI:

1:  no reply
 2:  ae-7-7.bar1.Detroit1.Level3.net                       6.939ms asymm  3 
 3:  Comcast-level3-50G.Detroit1.Level3.net                8.072ms 
 4:  no reply
 5:  te-5-1-1-cbr02.shelby.mi.michigan.comcast.net         8.764ms 
 6:  no reply

So your issue on that Comcast link has to be something in your region or last-mile. You should contact Comcast about that.

Tracing route to lag-14-172.ear1.chicago2.level3.net [8.45.131.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.10.0.1
  2     *        3 ms     9 ms  7x-x-x-x-michigan.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [7x.x.x.x]
  3    14 ms    23 ms    13 ms  96.120.41.65
  4    14 ms    13 ms    24 ms  te5-5-ur02.shelby.mi.michigan.comcast.net [68.86.140.49]
  5    20 ms    13 ms    12 ms  te-0-8-0-23-ar02.pontiac.mi.michigan.comcast.net [68.87.190.229]
  6    16 ms    29 ms    16 ms  ae2.bar1.detroit1.level3.net [4.68.71.33]
  7    28 ms    34 ms    42 ms  lag-14-172.ear1.chicago2.level3.net [8.45.131.1]

Trace complete.

Yes, I am seeing mixed results after I stopped and started the ping multiple times.  It is currently running 18-30 now but there were multiple other tests that were much higher. 

My current latency is 19-40 ms averaging 25 ms which is inline with what i expected.  Do routes like this get updated automatically after some data is sent using routing protocols like OSPF?  Excuse my ignorance.  Maybe we just needed to route their a few times for the routing tables to get updated.

I switched my Yealink T46S back to US-CENTRAL for testing and I am still getting 8.30.x.x RTP media.  The packet loss is very bad.  This is on firmware 66.81.0.90.  I made 3 test calls and the results were very bad due the amount of packet loss we get to SJC.  I am using DNS-NAPTR and the phone is provisioned with the provisioner.

Any idea why we are still getting sent to SJC for RTP media?  

I had reviewed the 2600hz SRV records before I created this thread and it looked like the priorities were set to my expectations.  It just seems like the phones are not honoring those records properly.  I assume the SRV priorities work like MX records where lower priorities get used first.  If that holds true I would expect to get media from CENTRAL first, then EAST, then as a last resort WEST.  Additionally, it looks like WEST is not even configured.  This is the response we get when querying the SRV records for "_sip._udp.us-central.p.zswitch.net"

Non-authoritative answer:
_sip._udp.us-central.p.zswitch.net      SRV service location:
          priority       = 20
          weight         = 20
          port           = 7000
          svr hostname   = lb001.ewr.p.zswitch.net
_sip._udp.us-central.p.zswitch.net      SRV service location:
          priority       = 10
          weight         = 10
          port           = 7000
          svr hostname   = lb002.ord.p.zswitch.net

lb001.ewr.p.zswitch.net internet address = 8.36.70.3

I do not believe it has anything to do with SRV records, or with model of phone you are using,  when you register your SIP signaling to us-central,  and you make a call the server (2600HZ) decides what the RTP media server should be,  the phone or the SRV record do not and cannot decide, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 9/26/2017 at 8:18 AM, Logicwrath said:

Could this be an issue with the Kamailio configuration then?  The vast majority of our calls when registered to US-CENTRAL are getting RTP media from SJC.  When they don't get SJC they get EWR.  However, we have not seen any RTP from ORD.

We have had to completely stop using US-CENTRAL.

us-central should be stable, but we did find a configuration issue where if ORD servers were maxed out they would failover to SJC. However, we also noted in your examples that you seem to be checking the RTP stats on the Yealink but that status screen doesn't update until your call hangs up. Can you detail exactly how you checked this?

us-central actually has our newest and best boards and network so it would surprise me if there was a real issue there.