DinkyDonkey

Advanced e911 - granular based on room or building

Question

I'm answering an RFP with a request for advanced e911 location based on the port the phone is plugged into. I imagine this can be done crudely with a unique e911 number for each building, floor, room (depending on granularity) and then updating the devices using LLDP and the Kazoo API.

Has anyone tackled granular e911 locations for larger buildings?

I've noticed in Bandwidth newsletters that they are working on this, https://www.bandwidth.com/9-1-1/

Edited by DinkyDonkey

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, DinkyDonkey said:

I'm answering an RFP with a request for advanced e911 location based on the port the phone is plugged into. I imagine this can be done crudely with a unique e911 number for each building, floor, room (depending on granularity) and then updating the devices using LLDP and the Kazoo API.

Has anyone tackled granular e911 locations for larger buildings?

I've noticed in Bandwidth newsletters that they are working on this, https://www.bandwidth.com/9-1-1/

Hi there,
     As far as I know, every number gets a unique address (even room number) so I am not aware of a way you can transmit the specifics of the room or location number with granularity at this time. If someone is working on that, it is news to me - right now they make money off each of those numbers so there's no motivation, to my knowledge, to fix that.

We played with an idea at one point to change the APIs in realtime - person dials 911, we update the API with the latest address, pause for 2 seconds, then connect the call, but decided it was a terrible idea to have someone wait on the line, even for 2 seconds, when calling 911, so abandoned that (without the pause the databases didn't seem to update reliably enough / rapidly enough).

So I am unaware of a solution to this besides paying per number.

Also there's only like 3 actual certified VoIP PSAP interconnect companies, everyone is just reselling their stuff. I believe it's 911 Enable (now West?), Intrado (also now West?) and bandwidth.

Thanks Darren, this was my thinking too, glad to see it confirmed on your end. I don't think what they want is available yet, so I'm going to pitch it as they can divide up the property as granular as they want, and pay for each e911 enabled DID, and then tie that to the location. It's nice knowing it's unlikely any other vendor will be able to deliver exactly what they want.

Hi,

You can try with Bandwidth. They support sip header: X-Geolocation:<geo: 39.752913, -104.996080;timestamp=20161213164900> that will route call to correct PSAP based on geolocation. If kazoo supports custom headers maybe that can be added to specific device and then transmitted with 911 call.

From documentation:

The caller will be routed to the PSAP matching the lat-lng in the geolocation header. If the latlng is invalid or the timestamp older than 60 minutes, the call will go to the emergency call center.

Arek

You can test it out by setting "sip.custom_sip_headers.in.X-Geolocation" on the device doc. This will set the header on outbound calls from the device (Kazoo typically uses in[bound] to mean coming to Kazoo from the endpoint). But it doesn't address the room/floor question.